Apple's Workout App

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by AJsAWiz, May 24, 2015.

1. AJsAWiz, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015

AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I'm impressed with the "stock" fitness app.
    I used the "outdoor cycle" option on my watch along with my Garmin GPS bike computer to compare. The results were identical! The disadvantages (to using Apple's app alone) is that with the Garmin bike computer, it's in my face the whole time. With the watch I need to turn my wrist for readings. Also Apple's App doesn't "map" my rides.
    So, I've decided to use the watch, by itself, on short rides (under 20 miles). Then for longer rides (I usually ride 20 - 45 miles) I'll either use both or just the Garmin.
    I've also used Apple's Workout App for indoor cycling too. I'll be trying out the other options as well.

Oh, I used (and ditched) Strava, on my watch, for cycling . It was a total disaster.

2. TRIXXY DIXXY macrumors newbie

TRIXXY DIXXY

Yup, pretty much agree with everything you say. I've started using the workout app for all my running and cycling. I'm using it along with MyFitnessPal and find it syncs the data well (tried Fitsum but I found the app would always double the calories burned).

Strava on the watch was a disaster, although I've not used it since the update. I have a Forerunner 310XT that I have attached to my bike to map my rides and upload the data to Strava. I've also gone into HealthKit app settings and stopped Strava from writing data so it doesn't double up my workout time

3. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

I'm very pleased using "Other" for my entire gym workout. This includes stretching, walking w/hills on a treadmill, weights and occasionally a little yoga.

I use the Nike+ GPS app for running and overall pleased with its watch interaction.

I LOVE as well the fitness tracking (circles). Very motivating and it is still helping me figure a challenging yet able to complete move goal.