Apple's WWDC 2019 Ticket Lottery Ends, Winners Begin Receiving Confirmation Emails

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2019.

1. trsblader macrumors 6502

It's always been 30% for in-app purchases. Recently for subscriptions it drops to 15% after the first year.

2. Jandalf macrumors newbie

1600 bucks is a lot of money to see a chimp’s brain explode...

3. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Last you heard? Check Apple's developer policy which has been available online since before the App Store launched. It's still 30%, just like it always has been. And yes, the government does take their chunk. It's called taxes, which has also been a thing since pretty much the beginning of the world. None of these facts should be "mind boggling" at this point.

4. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

The Flat Earth.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2019 ---
    It has been 30% since day one. And since when are taxes Apple's fault?

5. DaveRivera, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019

DaveRivera macrumors newbie

DaveRivera

When was the last time you looked at the Microsoft Build conference? $2395.00 this year, for three days.

And besides, it's not the consumers that buy the tickets and go, its the developers for the most part. Makes business sense for businesses in the MacOS developer world.

6. SmileyDude macrumors regular

SmileyDude

$1600 is a *bargain* for developers to get into the 1:1 labs alone. I’ve been to some of the Tech Talks over the years, which are sorta like mini WWDCs. I was actually able to ask questions about APIs that I was struggling with at the time and get a response right away. Way better than posting a question to their dev forums or opening a support ticket.

When you are paying devs $100+/hour, you can easily make up the costs of sending them to WWDC.

7. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Since when does Apple take 50% of an app's revenue? It's a 30/70 split.

8. lunarworks macrumors 68000

All you need for that is an emoji-related article here, and that's free.

9. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

I saw a few of your posts over the last months and always thought what an uninformed grumpy old man you must be. Maybe even an Apple hater. But now seeing you write "Apple consumers" when it is obviously for developers I figured out you are just trolling. You know it's not consumers but developers but you are *** off counting your likes and the replies. So I took a quick look and hey there is an ignore list on MacRumors! LOL

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

£1200 (or 1199) was how much my card was charged

11. Bin Cook macrumors regular

Even better value in old money! Hope you get your money's worth (and then some).

12. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

As has been pointed out, it’s 30% then 15% for subscriptions after a year. And 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing. In the “old days” of shrink-wrapped software, you’d be lucky to get 40% from a distributor.

Of course those who want to “go it alone” and sell on their website instead of through in-app purchases are free to do so, and Apple’s cut if that revenue is exactly zero. Netflix pays $99 a year so their customers can download the Netflix app 5 billion times a year. Some of Apple’s 30% cut goes to pay for that.

13. bbodine macrumors member

You mean like pretty much every IT related conference? Microsoft Ignite, VMworld, Pure Accelerate, Dell Technologies World. Some of these are far more expensive.

14. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

lol - Only in America can one be put in a "lottery" to have the chance at giving Apple $1500.

SMH.......

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Reading the thread where all that has been addressed a number of times can be of assistance.

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Cheers :)

When I saw you wrote £1600 I had to go check again haha.

I’m looking forward to the technical sessions.. but I am an engineer

17. Olga.vogue macrumors newbie

Olga.vogue

Whoever is not interested simply doesn't have to apply instead of complaining about the cost. Attending is not a necessity. Would you walk in a Ferrari dealership and complain Toyota costs so much less?

18. MacUserT macrumors newbie

Either you're a Microsoft Developer or not a developer at all. If you ever tried to follow a "real training course", you will find out that for 3 times the money you'll be introduced to the basics of developing apps and mostly only for iOS. I'm this year the lucky guy and happily will pay the money to ask questions in the labs that I con't get answers on in "real courses" and StackOverflow.

By the way, other conferences cost the same or more. What's your issue?

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Based on some posts it seems like something like that would indeed be the case.

20. Williesleg macrumors 6502

Interesting in that all my updates for the past few years only contain "bug fixes" and "performance improvements"