AppleSac and Incase Hardshell returned...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mademan118, Aug 14, 2008.

1. mademan118 macrumors regular

First off, the Applesac:

I ordered this thing after reading about it online. Seems like a pretty cool concept, however it was just terrible quality. Not only that, it did not really fit the Macbook. It offers absolutely no protection to the laptop. You are better off getting a be.ez larobe case that at least uses polyurethane for some type of padding.

Incase Hardshell:

I used this product for about 3 weeks. At first I was convince it was a cool product, however a few things made me return it.

1) The fitment was not perfect. The material did not snap on quite well and was somewhat loose. I went through 2 of these before giving up.

2) It restricts the screen way to much. There are times when I need to go past 90 degrees, and this case wouldnt let it.

3) It took away the great looks of my macbook. Such a nice looking computer that looked like a regular PC with the case on.

I will probably pick up an invisible shield instead. I am in the process of ordering an Oakley Kitchen Sink bag (these are sick) and ordered my be.ez larobe case.

Will post more updates.

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I debated with the idea of an incase shield too.

In the end I decided it was a lot of money for a piece of plastic which wouldn't stop pieces of crap getting underneath it and scratching it. Nor would it pretext the laptop from crap getting in to the ports.

Lastly it ruins the aesthetics of the MBP.

I'm thinking about an invisible shield but will probably just go with the sleeve I have.

Sorry to hear the Oakley bag is unwell.:p

3. JayMan8081 macrumors regular

Thanks for the review of the Incase shell, I have been debating getting one for a while now and I think I will just stick with my Incase sleeve and laptop bag combo. The specific flaws were good to know what exactly you didn't like about the shell.

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The only point of the 3 that I will agree with is #3. It does take away from look of the MB.

Points #1 and #2 means you did not have it on correctly. If put on correctly the Incase fits like a glove and does not move at all. It also allows the screen to be opened well beyond 90 degrees and does not hinder viewing the screen what so ever, again, you did not have it put on correctly.

Here is mine on my Blackbook, and this was not open 100%.

A huge thread on the Incase Hardshell here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=499600&highlight=incase

Attached Files:

• IC6.jpg
      IC6.jpg
      File size:
      109.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

I was considering an AppleSac because I think they look nice. I would rather have velcro rather than a zipper because I heard they scratch, which is why I was really interested in AppleSac.

If you say AppleSac is of bad quality, I also like the LArobe notebook sleeves, especially the Volute designs.

Does anyone know if the zipper on these sleves causes scratching on the MB case?

6. Built macrumors 68020

Best sleeve for a Macbook, IMHO, is put out by Aussiebag.

A little bulkier, but even more protective, is the Zeroshock sleeve from Japan (I got a couple off of Ebay).

7. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

The InCase doesn't scratch at all. I have one. The zipper is on top of 2 ribbed [for everyone's pleasure :D] cushiony pieces, so the zipper is never in contact with the MB.

8. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Reading that thread was what caused me to purchase the hardshell. I put the hardshell on and tried to secure all the clips, however not all of them would secure 100%, most notably the bottom clips nearest to the trackpad. It seems that the product quality varies from each one, similar to the macbooks (took me 3 macbooks to get the right one!). I was never able to open as far as your blackbook without feeling I would have to forcefully press the screen back which I was afraid to do as I might break it. I do think its an awesome idea, but it just needs to be perfected some more.

The applesac is for pure looks. I wanted something that would offer protection in a backpack from my 3 heavy heavy medical books (I am a RT student). The cases with polyurethane (memory foam) seem to be the best for that.

9. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

There is a lip on the bottom case of the Incase. You need to slide the back of the MB in first, get it under the lip, them push the front down to secure the case. if this is not done, the MB will not open all the way, and the case will seem loose.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. The Incase Hardshell was one of the things I miss the most from my MB.

10. John585 macrumors member

This might be a little off topic but, if you took the macbook to the airport with the case on do you think they would make you remove the case before going through the x-ray?

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Yes

12. Built macrumors 68020

I put my Macbook through the Xray machine at the airport IN the Aussiebag case and they haven't said a word. One of the TSA guys told me that as long as it is not a computer "bag" that has other things in it, it is OK. I suppose because the Aussiebag is so form-fitting and certainly, the X rays go right through it of course, they have not had an issue with it.