Applescript and Windows applications

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Whalabi, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Whalabi macrumors newbie

I was wondering if someone can help me create an Applescript program to copy a set of 500 figures from an excel spreadsheet column into a table on Quickbooks running under Windows on a Bootcamp partition (VMWare Fusion).
    The only way it can work is to copy each cell, then paste it in its corresponding table in Quickbooks; go back to the spreadsheet, copy the following cell, go back to QB, tab + tab, pate the figure, back to Excel, etc.
    Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm 99% sure that AppleScript can't talk to Windows applications (even if they are running in a virtualised Windows environment on a Mac).

3. Whalabi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not surprised.
    I guess I can open the Exel file under Windows. But is there a Windows application out there that can do the same as Applescript?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can probably do it in VBA in Excel for Windows.

However I'd suggest focusing on exporting the pictures into a format that QuickBooks understands. PNG or GIF for example.

You could do that entirely in OS X and then worry about importing to QB separately.

B

5. Whalabi thread starter macrumors newbie

I hate to say this, but I'm not familiar with Windows at all. What's VBA?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Visual Basic for Applications.