Applescript - declaring and passing non-existent objects

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Jester831, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Jester831 macrumors newbie

I am working to make a script to interact with flash and in doing so I am forced to deal with non-existent objects. That is, at any point in time the object may or may not exist. I started out by writing a very rough conceptual program to make sure I could successfully timeout until objects exist and then click on them and through some effort I got that to work. However, I want modularity in the program and need to find a way to pass non-existent objects into a function that waits for the object to exist.

An example of what I mean -

This is the code that works:
    This is the code that does not work - I get the error that the passed object does not exist
    Code:
    on LoadObject(targetObject, targetName, loadThreshold)
    	set loadTime to 0
    	log_event("Loading " & targetName & "... " & loadTime)
    	repeat with loadTime from 0 to loadThreshold
    		try
    			if targetObject exists then
    				log_event("Loaded " & targetName)
    				return true
    			else
    				delay 1
    				log_event("Loading " & targetName & "... " & loadTime)
    			end if
    		end try
    	end repeat
    	log_event("Failed to load " & targetName)
    	return false
    end LoadObject
    Furthermore, in this code, I get the error that the object does not exist and cannot pass it
    Any tips would be much appreciated!

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Maybe in the first chunk of code you should put a try/end try there as well, so that you're not sending a bad object to the function. Also "missing value" is AppleScript's way of testing for null so you could try that too.

3. Jester831 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, doing a try block somewhat defeats the purpose - if the object exists, there's no point in waiting for it to exist. I want to send a bad object with the expectation that it will become a good object and return true within a timeframe or return false.