AppleScript-driven Calendar repeating event creation

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by wrldwzrd89, Oct 16, 2012.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Shame Calendar doesn't support creating repeating events with repetition frequencies more often than once per day - that's exactly what I'm trying to do. It looks like it should be doable with AppleScript - the key here is the recurrence property of the event object - this is set to the RFC 2445 (iCalendar) format string for recurrences. However, what I'm having trouble figuring out is what the string should look like for an event with these parameters:
    • Starts on 10/17/2012
    • Repeats every 15 minutes within the time ranges given
    • Repeats 3:30 pm UTC -4:00 to 5:15 pm UTC -4:00 (Eastern Daylight Time) M, W, F
    • Repeats 8:00 am UTC -4:00 to 4:15 pm UTC -4:00 (Eastern Daylight Time) Tu, Th
    • Does NOT occur Sa, Su
    • Stops on 10/31/2012
    The iCalendar specification is here: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I don't know how helpful this is, but it seems like something cron or launchd could do.

IIRC the launchd.plist format doesn't have the ability to define ranges for active and inactive times. However, you can define "meta" launchd tasks, which run at specific times. The command performed by a meta task can be /bin/launchctl, which can enable and disable other launchd tasks (see 'load -w' and 'unload -w').

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That won't help at all, as this event needs to be on my iOS devices as well as in Calendar.