Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiffSunbacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Is there a script that will add the name of the folder to the beginning of each file dropped into it? For example: if the folder is called PROJECT then a file called June Projections when dropped into it will automatically be renamed PROJECT June Projections.

Many thanks

ahenson

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Folder Name in File Name Script

Here is a script that I originally pieced together and customized for JPGs. I based it on a few snippets from scripts here and there in order to figure it out, but I'm not sure which I used. I took out my JPG parts, so this will work on any file with a 3-character extension added to a folder.

I have only tested this on Leopard, but hopefully it will work for you.

One thing I have noticed on any "added items" folder action is that if there is a tiny delay in adding the files to the folder, the scripts may only work on the first one and then quit. I notice this when running a Save for Web action in Photoshop where I have multiple sizes saved into a folder. If I move or copy all the files at once into the actioned folder, then no problem.

Hope this helps.

-- begin applescript to add folder name to beginning of file name. A. Henson, amandahenson.com, compiled 2008.

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving added_items

try

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in added_items
tell application "Finder"
set this_item to item i of added_items
set the item_info to the info for this_item
set the the_file_name to the name of this_item

set the folder_name to the name of this_folder
set nameExt to name extension of (item i of added_items)
set oldName to text 1 through -((count nameExt) + 2) of (get name of (item i of added_items))
--
set added_items_name to (folder_name as string) & " " & (oldName as string) & "." & the name extension of the item_info

-- rename the file to the new file name
set the name of this_item to added_items_name

end tell
end repeat

end try

end adding folder items to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.