applescript for iTunes eq settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by frenetic, Sep 7, 2009.

1. frenetic macrumors regular

Dear all,

I have a question for which I have been googling a lot but I don't seem to find the correct answer. I am looking to automate a process in which I link an iTunes eq setting to the MAC address of the wireless network I am connected to. Concretely, I move my laptop a lot between several places. In Amsterdam the airport express is connected to a hifi installation that does not have an equalizer setting. What I would like is to create an apple script that activates the Amsterdam equalizer setting once I am connected to that network, and that deactivates that same setting once I am connected to another one. Through my googling activities I have tried to create such a script but I don't get it to work and I don't understand enough of applescript to correct it:

tell application "iTunes"
    if airport MAC address is "00:23:6c:7f:31:f4" then
    set the current EQ preset to EQ preset "amsterdam"
    end if
    if airport MAC address is not "00:23:6c:7f:31:f4" then
    set the current EQ preset to EQ preset "Flat"
    end if
    end tell

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance...

Frenetic

2. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

3. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

4. sircharlo macrumors member

Try this (replace 00:11:22:33:44:55 (in bold) with your MAC address):

Code:
    try
    	set macAddressText to text of (do shell script "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport -I | grep BSSID")

set macAddress to (word 2) of macAddressText
    	set macAddress to macAddress & ":" & (word 3) of macAddressText
    	set macAddress to macAddress & ":" & (word 4) of macAddressText
    	set macAddress to macAddress & ":" & (word 5) of macAddressText
    	set macAddress to macAddress & ":" & (word 6) of macAddressText
    	set macAddress to macAddress & ":" & (word 7) of macAddressText
    	if macAddress is "[B]00:11:22:33:44:55[/B]" then
    			set the current EQ preset to EQ preset "amsterdam"
    		end tell
    	else
    		end tell
    	end if
    on error -- This is for if you are not even connected to a network.
    	display alert "You are not connected to a wireless network ! 
    Setting Flat EQ."
    	end tell
    end try
    Probably could be cleaner, but it's still functional.

5. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I am not at home so can't check it out but it looks like its functioning, since running the script changed it back to "flat"! Sircharlo, you are great! I cannot thank you enough for this, and will be studying what it does precisely.

6. sircharlo macrumors member

7. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

Ahum, I was too enthusiastic. Just got home and I encountered a problem - when home it does not switch to the "amsterdam" eq. I don't fully understand the shell script you invoke, but it might have to do with the fact that my house modem + router is not an apple express or base station, but a zyxel (with one airport express attached for streaming music). Could that be the reason?

8. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

I solved it - for a reason that I don't understand the MAC address of the wireless router is reported to the MAC OS as 0:23:f8:21:d5:54 (with the first 0 missing). I noticed that by holding alt and clicking the airport symbol in the menu bar. Once I changed that the script works. Odd.

Now next question: the script only works if I run it myself. Is there a way to automate the process? That I make it a log-in item and that every time I change network location it performs the check?

9. sircharlo macrumors member

Try saving your application as an Application Bundle in Script Editor (NOT run only).
    And try moving your app bundle to your /Applications/ folder.
    Try going in System Preferences, Accounts, Your Account, Login Items, and try adding your script to that list.

Works ?

10. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm... it doesn't work automatically. I have saved it as an application (not script bundle), put it in my log-in items, but it does not change the EQ settings. When I run the script manually, though, it works perfectly. Maybe there should be a command in there that registers every change in the wireless network, or something to make it check every 20 secs? Anyway, this is already much better than having to manually check and uncheck the equalizer settings, so I will not abuse of your time anymore. Thanks again!

11. remmer macrumors newbie

I have two Airport Expresses running at my house. Both are connected to different types of speakers. Neither speaker set has its own equalizer, and both require a different EQ setting to sound just right.

Any ideas on a script that will help with this?

12. sircharlo macrumors member

Please elaborate...
    Are you playing simultaneously with both airports express, or only one at a time?
    I don't think there's a way to set the eq for each airport express seperately... So if you're using both simultaneously, you'd have to find some middle ground eq setting in itunes, or your app of choice.

If you only use one set of wireless speakers at a time, a script could help you there, by setting an eq depending on which speakers are connected...

So, which is it?

13. remmer macrumors newbie

I rarely play them both at the same time. So a script that changes the EQ based on which express it is playing to would be perfect. Maybe if they are both playing it could default to a standard eq?

I know nothing about writing scripts, so your help would be greatly appreciated!