AppleScript & MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by sec12tst8r84, May 4, 2008.

1. sec12tst8r84 macrumors newbie

I am new to AppleScript. I would like to create a Growl notification for any incoming messages from MSN Messenger. Is there a way to determine that a new message has been received using AppleScript and then having Growl display the message? I am basically looking for the same way Growl treats Adium but for MSN Messenger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. CaptainZap macrumors regular

I don't know how to do this, but I'm just curious as to why you are using MSN Messenger instead of Adium.

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

Code:
    tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
    set the allNotificationsList to {"Incoming"}
    notify with name "Incoming" title "Incoming Message from MSN" description "A incoming message is coming from MSN" application name "Growl notifier" 
    end tell

this will tell growl to show a notifier
    you can use things from MSN but it would take a long time

4. sec12tst8r84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I know how to set up a Growl notification using AppleScript. I am lost as to how to trigger that notification (in other words watch for an incoming message).

I'm using MSN Messenger instead of Adium mainly because of some bugs in Adium as well as some missing functionality.

5. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

to use applescript with MSN messager is that you need to use the focus element in apple script and i would use do this but i don't use msn messager and i don't want to install it