Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

picklescott

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Recently at my local Apple Store (International Plaza - Tampa, FL) I noticed that the four(?) desktop icons were arranged horizontally in the middle of the screen. They seemed to be embedded there, and could not be moved. There even seemed to be a graphical inset for them. I was short on time and didn't get the chance to see what the desktop image was set to in System Preferences. Does anybody know how they could lock the image into that position?

Next time I go to the Apple Store I'll be sure to ask...

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
picklescott said:
Recently at my local Apple Store (International Plaza - Tampa, FL) I noticed that the four(?) desktop icons were arranged horizontally in the middle of the screen. They seemed to be embedded there, and could not be moved. There even seemed to be a graphical inset for them. I was short on time and didn't get the chance to see what the desktop image was set to in System Preferences. Does anybody know how they could lock the image into that position?

Next time I go to the Apple Store I'll be sure to ask...

That is for the genius bar/store resources... they aren't icons

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
They're a JavaScript (If you hit F11 they will go away). If you want your icons to move where you want, just use the Snap to Grid feature in the View Options menu.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, they are for setting up an appointment at the genius bar. Also to get information about Apple. These so called icon's aren't lock in that position. I was going to make an appointment at the genius bar about a month ago and it was gone. Had to go to another Mac. The person before knew what they were doing.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
picklescott said:
so... you can embed javascript into your desktop? how?!

I think it helps to be the company that wrote the OS. In other words, tho there are probably haxies that do something similar, I doubt this is possible for the general public.

Of course, with Tiger, it'll be easy to have Javascript floating *above* your desktop...

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
paulwhannel said:
I think it helps to be the company that wrote the OS. In other words, tho there are probably haxies that do something similar, I doubt this is possible for the general public.

Of course, with Tiger, it'll be easy to have Javascript floating *above* your desktop...

But really, is there so much difference between something floating above the desktop, and being a part of it (in appearance, that is)?

P.S. This is a rhetorical question. The answer is no, as long as you strictly adhere to the "in appearance, that is" part.

I reserve the right to be wrong, as I recently saw in someone's signature.
I also reserve the right to misquote people and their signatures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.