AppleTalk Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BlindSoul, Aug 2, 2011.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hello,

My dad just upgraded his Mac Pro at work to 10.6.8 , And they're using there AppleTalk Connection for printing. And he says it doesn't work there. Does anyone know how to enable it and make it work? Or there's no chance and he must go to an older version?

Thank you very much! :)

2. troop231 macrumors 603

As far as I know, 10.6.8 doesn't support Apple Talk.

3. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

So that means there's no way at all to make it work?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Without knowing which model printer your dad has, there is no way to tell.

5. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

Nope....Leopard was the last OS to support AppleTalk. I was caught empty handed by that as well (I still print to my venerable LaserWriter IIg printer)

Best workaround (at least for me) was to press my old G4 Quicksilver (running Leopard) back into service as a print server. Works surprisingly well, actually!

....sT

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Here is the deal. Just because the OP used AppleTalk does not mean that AppleTalk is required. I own two Xerox printers that support AppleTalk, Bonjour, and pretty much everything in between. The OP may have numerous options left now that AppleTalk is no longer supported. The only way that we can know this is for the OP to give us his specific model printer.

7. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

All of which changes nothing.

The bottom line remains that AppleTalk support ended with Leopard. Unless the printer-of-choice offers other options, one will need to be creative to mate it with any post-Leopard world.

....sT

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The bottom line is not that AppleTalk support ended with Leopard. The bottom line is where the OP goes post-Leopard. I am aware of no printer, except the AppleTalk ImageWriter II and the AppleTalk ImageWriter LQ, that uses AppleTalk exclusively. For example, every member of Apple's LaserWriter family supports at least one other protocol if it supports AppleTalk. I will go out of a limb and assert that the OP is not using an ImageWriter. This means that his printer provides communication options other than AppleTalk. What those options may be, we cannot know without knowing which printer he has.

9. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

Again...all of the above changes nothing. It proves even less.

Indeed, about the only thing that you were actually correct about was only the broadest of statements...that 'LaserWriter family supports at least one other protocol if it supports AppleTalk.'

On the face of it, this is true. However, you fail to grok deeper understanding. Indeed, the most flexible of all of the Apple LaserWriter printers (the LWIIg) had ports for AppleTalk/LocalTalk, PC RS-232 serial, Ethernet, and SCSI.

Seems quite the choice, doesn't it? However....it actually wasn't.

In order, the RS-232 was a PC serial connection.....the Mac LWIIg driver was and is not compatible.

The Ethernet port is not the present day implementation of Ethernet...but rather the earlier un-integrated transponder implementation. To actually use this port, one must find the additional Ethernet transponder dongle required to make it compatible with present day applications (good luck finding one of those, it's been over 20 years since they were produced...but I imagine that if you were really DYING to find one and had more spare time than sense you might locate one someplace in a third world country. I won't even bother to explore the cable jack mismatch.)

And, finally, the SCSI port. Sorry...this was only to support an external Hard drive for font storage and downloading. It is not useable as a print interface.

Lots of ports. It made for good advertising, but that was about the extent of it....especially in a Mac application. If one really worked at it, one could use something else at that time. If you had a LWIIf or earlier, then you did not even have all of those choices...as pointless as they were. Sorry, these days for all intents and purposes they are AppleTalk printers only.

My initial post stands.

....sT

10. batchtaster macrumors 65816

Facts are the most useful weapon in solving a problem.

To OP: what is your dad's printer?