Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
Hi,

I posted a short while ago about my impending ownership of an SE/30. I have now received the machine, and I have obtained the correct SCSI cable and a SCSI terminator. I have a suitable CD-ROM (an AppleCD 300e+) coming in the post. But to my surprise the machine has come with a whole load of software already on the drive that I would like to preserve. So I have invested in an AppleTalk cable and an Assante AppleTalk to ethernet bridge.

My question is quite simple — what can I do to get the SE/30 talking, and ideally filesharing with my existing OS X v10.4 MacBook Pro? The machine is currently running System 6, and clearly has some TCP/IP stuff on it because it already has MacPPP and MacWWW installed. In any case, I can hopefully use the CD-ROM to transfer whatever other files it might need.

My current home network is just a wireless router that goes out to a broadband connection, so that leaves both a free ethernet port on the router and a free ethernet port on my MacBook Pro.

Am I likely to have any luck?

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
appletalk in OS X isnt like appletalk in classic. i have never got my Performa 475 running system 7.6.1 to work with the appletalk in OS X (i have 10.4.9). i can tho connect my P475 to the Beige G3 to share its connection but other than that you need classic to be able to use appletalk like that.

you can alway's try a FTP or other method to transfer files over

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
There's a program called DAVE that is supposed to allow Classic Macs to access SMB (windows shares). This way, you wouldn't have to use Appletalk. As for what that SE/30 can do, apparently it's a lot. If you can scrounge up enough 30pin RAM, it can take up to 128mb I believe. That is an insane RAM limit for a mac so old

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
Hi,

I posted a short while ago about my impending ownership of an SE/30. I have now received the machine, and I have obtained the correct SCSI cable and a SCSI terminator. I have a suitable CD-ROM (an AppleCD 300e+) coming in the post. But to my surprise the machine has come with a whole load of software already on the drive that I would like to preserve. So I have invested in an AppleTalk cable and an Assante AppleTalk to ethernet bridge.

My question is quite simple — what can I do to get the SE/30 talking, and ideally filesharing with my existing OS X v10.4 MacBook Pro? The machine is currently running System 6, and clearly has some TCP/IP stuff on it because it already has MacPPP and MacWWW installed. In any case, I can hopefully use the CD-ROM to transfer whatever other files it might need.

My current home network is just a wireless router that goes out to a broadband connection, so that leaves both a free ethernet port on the router and a free ethernet port on my MacBook Pro.

Am I likely to have any luck?

Appletalk will not work because OS X uses Appletalk over TCP/IP - which your SE/30 can't do (I think it was added in Mac OS 8.5 or 9.0).

I'd Recommend DAVE but it will be hard to find a copy (legally :p) and I don't think it works with system 6.

The way IPs work on LocalTalk (aka "Appletalk networking with the serial ports") is different than on Ethernet in that you usually can't just set an IP for your Localtalk Mac and run that though the bridge to an Ethernet network.

I'd first try picking a static IP address in the same subnet as your router (such as 192.168.1.4 - check the IP on your MacBook and just add 5 to the last number and type the same router/dns/subnet info into the SE).

If all goes well you'll all be on the same TCP network. Then you can use a simple program like Hotline FTP (http://www.forcedperfect.net/hotline/downloads/) to share the files.

Unfortunately I don't think you can set the IP using LocalTalk the same way - it needs a MacIP server to act as a TCP/IP bridge to a normal Ethernet network. I have a normal Localtalk bridge but I have a Cisco 2500 series router on my network that just functions as a MacIP server to give my (many) LocalTalk Macs IP addresses and full internet access.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
According to MacTracker, the SE/30 can run up to 7.5.5. I'd like to keep System 6 for some boring projects I'm half pursuing, but I'm not against putting 7.5.5 on it, especially if I can dual boot somehow (?)

Anyway, I seem to have something of a dilemma because it doesn't seem to inherently know how to talk to the CD-ROM drive (though it clearly knows it's there, since if I set it to ID 0 to clash with the internal HDD then the machine won't boot), which makes getting software onto it extremely difficult. I'll have to try and obtain a floppy disc or two from somewhere and see if the floppy drive works. If not then I really don't have a clue what to do next. I have an old SCSI to USB adapter, so my guess is that an external SCSI hard drive might be a good investment...

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
i do know when i set up my external SCSI LaCie SCSI drive on my P 475 i had to install intech cd/dvd speedtools 6.0 in order before it would use the drive since its not a apple branded drive there is other cd driver extensions out there that will allow it to work if its not a apple branded drive. my external drive has a built in terminator i can turn on or off. but if its the only drive other than the internal HDD it had to be terminated before it would work. if the external drive dont have a terminator switch you will have to buy a external terminator fo rthe drive.

also you have to make sure that the SCSI id number isn't conflicting with anything the system is using or it wont work

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
Nope, no CD-ROM extension. The CD drive works perfectly through a Belkin SCSI to USB thing on my MacBook, so I guess that's the current problem. It does leave me with a bit of a chicken and egg situation though as I only have System 7 on CD and nothing apart from my SE/30 has a floppy drive. I'm also still not completely persuaded that the drive in the SE/30 works as it came with one floppy disc in it that it refused to read, but if I format it then it spits it out after finding an error in format verification. I have no other floppy discs and they don't seem to be on sale anywhere obvious any more.

I guess the intelligent question is, what devices does System 6 definitely support across SCSI? If I buy an external SCSI drive then can I be certain that the SE/30 will be happy with it? I know it can only work with volumes up to 2GB in size, does that mean I can't buy a bigger volume or does it just mean that I'll either see multiple volumes or else only use 2 GB of the device?

sbez

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
i see this maybe a 'while' but wonder if or what you have done? Im thinking apple a/ux offer others mount ,floppy hdd use,hd partitions & access to unix in less retristicted system 6 apple mac misinherented availbilities of things it has long been capable of but as lazyness conforms contemptative assures of 'the onkly way now too do this/that'crap.Iv used 7.5.8 onto ext scsi [from lc iii,which ran 7.1]just plugged it onto se30 & it converted 200mb into 7.5.8 too!I ran no programs just simply open and surveyed disk[crashed a couple of boots,until it behaved]usual mb-m68k way 'blunderbus'no prob 'status retained'!SheepShave & rossetta pp-links g3/4/5 for uses from darwin,no probs,etc?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I use an early PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet or PDQ) with os9 as "Mac in the Middle".

It sports both a Din8-socket for LocalTalk/AppleTalk-connection to my old 68k-Macs (Macintosh Classic and SE /30) and an Ethernet-socket for TCP/IP to connect with PPC/OSX. It was good fun to explore the options how to get an os9 machine connected #9 . (But it's os9-centric: the Wallstreet is able to access the 68k-Macintosh, but trying to make the 68k-Macintosh connect to the Wallstreet will cause an immediate crash of the 68k Macintosh.)

Here's a list about AFP-compatibility between different Mac-generations: http://www.knubbelmac.de/themen/afp-server-vergleich.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.