AppleTV 3.0 is a little flaky

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CalMin, Nov 1, 2009.

1. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Since installing 3.0, the UI locks up for 30 secs when ever it starts syncing with my Mac. It's really annoying. Also - I've had the thing complete fall over and spontaneously reset to the Apple log.

I know AppleTV is a "hobby" for Apple, but flaky beta software on a consumer device is quite unacceptable.

Anyone else experience this?

2. ladysman macrumors regular

I have 2 appleTV's and have had NO such problem. Both have been working 100% since I upgraded THursday morning. But this is on Windows. ;)

3. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Havn't had any stalling myself - maybe a network issue?

Have noticed the the new menus flicker a little on occasion, I think maybe as new items are added to the library.

Still on the whole I think it works a lot better from a UI point of view, most stuff you want to watch (recently added shows) just one click away - much better than the old two / three clicks required previously.

4. mpshay macrumors 6502

5. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

Seemed to be OK after the update to 3.0 and then today I started getting a problem when I added a new movie. The ATV would no longer respond to the remote and went into an endless reboot/run diagnostics cycle. I got around it by taking the "restore to factory" option and reapplied the 3.0

Now it's resynching everything, I'll see how it goes.

Most annoyingly Apple have still not addressed the issue regarding an ethernet connected computer not talking to a wireless Apple TV :mad:

I wish they'd invest a little more in the ATV, I think it's a great device, but too many little flaws for my liking.

6. colinmack macrumors regular

What problem? I have two wireless Apple TVs talking to an ethernet-connected computer (as I'm sure many people do).

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

They talk fine, they just don't talk automatically. You need to manually tell the AppleTV to sync via iTunes. Is this different if the computer is connected wirelessly? I wouldn't know.

8. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

^^

^
    +1

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't have a problem with my wireless Apple TV and ethernet connected iMac either.

10. joenruschia macrumors newbie

I have

I've had problems. I have hdmi issues I think but mainly tonight it wouldn't access any of my files. kept saying not supported format (all of these I've had for a while and have worked find). I am going to downgrade it and reinstall and see what happens.

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

This is probably the most stable release in a long while for me.

The last release was soooo slow and laggy (is that a word?) it really got frustrating. This release is fast and smooth.

12. joenruschia macrumors newbie

ok. So for some reason the external hard drive that had all my movies dissapeared from my mac and therefore was giving me a lot of troubles. As for the HDMI issues, I did a factory restore and then an update and so far so good.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

For me, the Apple TV has always been somewhat flakey.

On 3.0,

I get flicker when switching from another source to the Apple TV (HDMI) on my HDTV. The Apple TV first appears, then the screen goes black, then there’s a popping sound and then it reappears ready to go. I take it it’s redoing the HDMI handshake?

I also keep getting the “Volume low. Resetting volume.” bug. It tends to happen after I playback content from the music category and switch to podcasts or movies.

Playing back HD movies is still a chore. Sometimes the Apple TV is slow to respond to fast forward or rewind and accessing the chapter menu on an HD movie usually causes a short pause.

The unit has also reset itself once while playing back a video podcast.

Otherwise, 3.0 has been relatively stable for me.

However, It still doesn’t update dynamically. For example, I have to manually sync in iTunes if I want content that’s been added to iTunes within the last hour or so. What is the timeline for the Apple TV to reload content? Hours? Twice per day?

I guess my tolerance level for the device is somewhat high. So, these minor issues don’t really bother me too much.

Did anyone ever confirm that it was still running 10.4? And what about HTTP streaming?

14. joenruschia macrumors newbie

Let me know if you ever get that flickering figured out. It's driving me nuts. Sometimes I have to reset the appletv.

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I don’t think it’s the Apple TV itself. I think it’s just how some HDTVs handle HDMI. My PS3 does something similar when I switch to it (although it doesn’t fade to black). I have a Samsung HDTV, and oddly enough naming the Apple TV’s source “PC” (a preselected choice) instead of just regular “Video” improves it somewhat.

16. joenruschia macrumors newbie

It's the only device on my system that has such an issue. Regular flickering is acceptable and understood, but this is flickering and then blackness for a while, then the menu will come up then flicker off for a moment and then come on. It's quiet a long process.

17. fpnc macrumors 68000

No problems on my system with a wired Mac and my Apple TV talking to an Air Port Express running 802.11n at 5GHz.

Also, I've had only one significant problem after two days of extensive use with the new 3.0 firmware (one instance of a reset). I think there is a problem if you have a an old playlist synced to the Apple TV that has internet radio stations within it. I had used that workaround to get internet radio on my Apple TV but that may cause lockups with the new 3.0 firmware if you are using shuffle playback (either that or it's a random problem that's been around for a long time). I fixed it by removing the playlist and now I just use the internet radio menu on the Apple TV.

Only other minor issues:

HD menu options (chapter thumbnails) are a little slow to come up when streaming from my Mac. In one instance they were very slow (maybe ten seconds to show up).

When doing a lot of quick scrolling though the UI there will sometimes (rarely) be a very quick and minor glitch in the scrolling video.

Overall, however, it has been very solid.

18. seamer macrumors 6502

seamer

I started having the wierd reboot/diagnostic/reboot/main menu->playlist/reboot/diagnostic thing happen to me last night on my first ATV, and then today it started to happen on the second ATV in a different room.

In both cases I had to change the ATV from sync to stream and that has (apparently) fixed the problems. But I'm not willing to stand by that until I watch tv again tonight.

Nothing like this happened until I switched up to 3.0. I was ready to go camp outside the local Apple Store and demand a replacement/refund, nothing like a dead ATV at 3am and can't get to sleep...

19. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Problems too

My ATV did this last nigh too - just as I was sitting down with my family to watch a movie. All of the menus showed default thumbnails for music, movies, tv shows, etc. The remote stopped working and then the ATV just suddenly rebooted - when it came back on-line, all of my synched material except my photos was gone. WTF!?

I go to iTunes on my Mac to see what's up and it starts resynching with my ATV - from scratch - all 100+GB of content.

Bottom line - No movie night for the family and an owner who is starting to wonder if this device is worth the hassle. It doesn't "just work".

20. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

Lumpy dog-

That's interesting, because mine did the exact same thing. Fortunately I stream instead of syncing...

21. ladysman macrumors regular

Since I posted earlier in this thread, i'll post again as i had the exact problem on 1 of my appleTV's last night. The wireless one to be exact. weird. I haven't looked at apple support forum yet but will.

22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apparently, 10.6.2 specifically addresses troubles with Apple TV. So if you’re running Snow Leopard — there’s at least some hope.

23. ladysman macrumors regular

Naw, Windows 7 64 bit ;)

24. Gringcorp macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me. Returned from work to find all my music and movies gone from my Apple TV. But not my photos, so not a factory reset. No change to my sync settings in iTunes, and when I open up iTunes, it goes to work happily syncing my 140GB library over a wireless g network, which I dare say will take all weekend. So I'm not mad, my son didn't press some miracle remote combination, and other people are having this too.

25. stuarthatto macrumors regular

All of my movies and music have also disappeared from my ATV, and I don't seem able to coax it into syncing them back again.

Very annoying