AppleTV 3rd Gen Update

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mlrollin91, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Good evening all.

Just noticed that there wasn't any news on this so I figured I would let people with 3rd Gen AppleTVs know. There is a software update available, 7.2.2.

Apple doesn't state much about it, just "This update includes general performance and stability improvements.". But I thought it was odd that they would release an update on a now discontinued product.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202157

2. B/D macrumors member

B/D

Apple TV 2 gen (¡2gen!) got an update as well.

3. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

Does anyone know the details of this update? Maybe it's actually just about performance and stability improvements.

4. B/D macrumors member

B/D

its exactly that. On the Apple TV 2 also fixes the longstanding issue of random reboots while playing Netflix or Hulu...

¡Finally!

5. Polarised macrumors newbie

6. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

When was this update? Mine still says 6.2.1. I just got booted out of Netflix once again.

8. B/D macrumors member

B/D

You need to restore the Apple TV 2 with iTunes to get it, it´s the same 6.2.1 version number but a new build. I suspect it have been released in order to prevent a possible 6.2.1 untethered jailbreak, since a tethered one was possible since last year October.

Anyway, stability when streaming HD seems to be back to pre-6.2.1 levels, no crashes, and no reboots so far for me on Netflix and Hulu. Despite this, is still highly recommended to log out from iCloud and choose default screensaver to prevent further reboots, due to the little RAM available on the device.

Also, turning off iTunes Match, seems to help overall UI smoothness

1): Turn off iCloud (from settings menu)

2: Turn off any custom screensaver

3: Turn off iTunes Match.

Apple TV 2 crash-free again! :)

9. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I think this update should have resolved the no content bug that kept showing up.