AppleTV 4K remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Trumpy, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Trumpy macrumors member

Trumpy

Does anyone's remote seem to lose power quickly? I have left mine plugged into my laptop overnight to be sure its charged but within 4-5 days, the notice pops up on the TV saying the battery is about to run out. I've had the last two iterations of the AppleTV and the remotes with them didn't seem to run out as quickly. Is it a faulty device? Does Apple do anything about replacing them? Thanks.

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Haven’t seen that yet but will keep an eye out

3. doboy macrumors 68020

Mine has this issue. Went to the store but turns out I needed to bring the main unit so they can test it out. Pain in the ass.

4. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

My remote is fine, I’ve not needed to charge mine since the day I bought in November and it’s currently on 45% remaining.

5. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

Had this happen to my remote as well - my first replacement I was given did the same thing. I'm on my second one and it works just fine...this was a couple months ago and I haven't needed to charge it since I got it.

Yours is definitely defective...take it into an Apple Store or call Apple service if one isn't near you. They should replace it right away. Good luck!

6. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Mine has recently started doing this. Had it in my house since the end of September, it was sometime in January that I had to charge it first. Since then, it's almost every week that it needs to be charged. This week it only lasted four days. Something tells me that it's dying.

Probably time to get in touch with Apple and get it replaced.

7. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Had mine since launch and it is used daily. Only had to charge the remote once so far.

8. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

There’s another thread that discusses this.. the issue wasn’t there with the old Siri remote and Apple TV 4... it’s all started with the new Siri remote and the 4K set..

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Was relieved (sort of) to see this thread.
    I have a 4th gen and a 4k model side by side on 2 TV's...

The 4k remote has been a nightmare of needing charging..
    Sounds like I need to bring the 4k unit & remote to the store and see what they say.

Very frustrating (and odd) given how seemingly nothing changed about the remotes save for that white ring...maybe the box is communicating differently than the 4th gen or with slightly different hardware inside or something? Super weird

10. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

Just bad luck. My old remote and the 4K remote with white ring are the same when it comes to battery
    (and anything else, wouldn't know the difference if the ring wasn't white)

11. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Maybe just different battery vendor -> s***r quality?
    PS mine has been as solid as the previous aTV 4 Siri remote (still own both).

12. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

Yeah mines the same, since the last time I posted on 5th Feb when battery level was at 45% I’ve just had another look and it’s only dropped down to 36% since then.
    That’s pretty good going seeing as I’ve not charged it once in the 3 months I’ve had it and it gets plenty of use.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Sounds like I lost the Siri Remote Battery Lottery on my 4k..

14. westrock2000 macrumors 6502a

The old silver remotes still work too and those batteries last for ages. You lose volume control and some other stuff, but basic cursor movement works fine.

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

There's the deal breaker sadly

16. westrock2000 macrumors 6502a

It is a pretty bad ass feature. It controls my receiver.

17. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Ive owned my ATV 4K over a month now and still have yet to charge the remote.

18. Kitkat52 macrumors member

Kitkat52

Switched out the 4K and also the remote with Apple. It didn’t help. I finally switched remotes with my Apple non-4K. It works for me using the different remote. And also the remote that came with the 4K works perfectly on the other Apple TV.