Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
So ended up getting a refurb through the Apple store and the extra Apple Bluetooth keyboard it tries to train to never quite does. The remote trains to it fine. My iPhone 7 Plus doesn't train either.

Did I get a dud? I've already done a full system reset twice on the device.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
However, I have a new iPhone 7Plus which should connect to a new AppleTV. I also have a pair of Samson Bluetooth speakers which it can see. It sees the Apple bluetooth keyboard briefly and indicates training but never does.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
I actually visited the apple store and the "official apple way" of connecting a smartphone to an appletv is to use airplay which I have used in the past. They indicated that the bluetooth is really to connect things like headphones or speakers and not phones or keyboards (even though it prompts for a keyboard when you first power the thing on). My guess is they are focusing on the siri remote as the "optimal" way to interface with the thing but it seems to work reasonably well although siri might interpret what you say incorrectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.