appletv, airplay express, and home theater system

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jaycle, Nov 10, 2013.

1. jaycle macrumors newbie

Here is what I have: a Dish Hopper DVR receiver with a HDMI port, a Blu-Ray player with a HDMI port, a set of good surround sound speakers, a plasma TV with 2 HDMI ports, a Macbook air , and a new Ipod touch.

What I want to do is to use those speakers to play my music on the Ipod wirelessly and when watching DVD movies.

I thought of buying an Appletv and a 4-way HDMI switch for the TV, but it seems silly to have the TV on all the time just to play music on the Ipod. I could buy an Airplay express and plug the speakers into it, but how would I use those same speakers when watching a DVD? How would it link up with the AppleTV?

I guess I could buy an A/V receiver that supports Apple wireless audio streaming, but I didn't want to spend $300.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

2. waw74, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

waw74 macrumors 68030

how are you currently getting the audio signal to the speakers?

you might be able to use something like this to "break into" your existing audio line.

3. jaycle thread starter macrumors newbie

avr, apple tv

I haven't set this up yet, but, yes, the problem would be powering the speakers. So, I could buy an Airplay express and hook up the speakers to it so I could stream audio from my Macbook. But, the only problem is that would be all I could do with the speakers. I couldn't use those same speakers if, say, I wanted to watch a movie on my DVD player or Dish hopper dvr.

The other option is to buy a cheap avr that has 4 or 5 hdmi ports and supports apple tv. Then, the avr would power the speakers.

Not sure if there are any other options.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

What are your "good surround sound speakers"?

It sounds like you do not have a receiver + speakers, but rather a set of cheap surrounds with only one input that are probably connected directly to your TV. I'm sorry to say it, but there is no cheap way to do what you want, without having your TV on. Even a cheap receiver would be a huge upgrade from your current system....

If you are in the US.... Here's a refurb Denon from a reputable place that will only set you back $130....
    http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Edit: I have this one, and it has built in Airplay for only $210 http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html