AppleTV and Photo screensaver

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by zhenya, Dec 15, 2015.

1. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I've had this complaint about every AppleTV that I've had, but the new ATV4 seems to be worse than ever. The problem is that whatever source I use as my screensaver, the ATV chooses only a very small portion of that library to display, and then recycles those same images over and over rarely, if ever, choosing new ones to display. So for example, I have an album of all photos from 2015 in iCloud and I set that as my screensaver. There are thousands of pictures in there, but we never see more than a few dozen. Is there any way to fix this? Apple must be aware of it as it has been happening for years (we own 4 of these across all generations).

2. Poontaco macrumors regular

I know that happens when you preview the screensaver, but I haven't noticed that being an issue for me after giving it time to populate the cache. I haven't really looked for that issue though.
    Are your photos very large? If so, you could try resizing a bunch and putting them in a separate folder just for the screensaver.

3. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

Most of our photos are taken with iPhones, so whatever size those are. It took forever for the new ATV to populate the iCloud photos but they are all there now, but the selection we get in the screensaver is extremely small. Like I said, this is the same problem we had with the old ATV's and with those we were using a local iPhoto library for years so I doubt there is anything that I am doing in particular. It just seems like the device is very conservative about downloading new photos to display.