AppleTV as a homekit hub without TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pake, Apr 14, 2017.

?

Can Apple TV (4th gen) be used and configured without a TV/screen?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. pake macrumors regular

Hi,

I want/need to have a homekit hub. I understand that both an iPad and an apple TV (4th gen) can be used for this. Getting a new apple tv is cheaper than buying a compatible second-hand iPad so I'm thinking about getting one.
    However, I don't own a TV nor any other screen. Can I still use the apple tv? Perhaps configure it with an iOS device? I won't be borrowing a screen from the neighbours...
    I may get a TV eventually so having the tv is still better than getting an iPad; I'm not getting the screen anytime soon, though.

And I've made this a poll, just for fun :p

2. Longkeg macrumors regular

While the Apple Remote app offers excellent control features over a configured AppleTV it doesn't mirror the ATV home screen. Plus you need an iOS device to run it. ATVs 1 and 2 could be jailbroken and there was a tweek that would let you mirror the home screen on your iOS device but you can't do that on an ATV4 which is what you would need to run your home kit... and you'd need an iOS device.

Sooo... the only user interface available to an ATV4 user is via an HDMI connected TV. It's the only way to set up and configure the ATV. It's the only way to see the icons to open and use those apps. A quick search of these forums reveals several people who have used headless ATVs as sources for their sound bars... but that's a whole different thing.

I would have to vote NO in your case. You can't use an ATV4 as a home kit hub without a TV. Please consider... a 32g ATV4 and the smallest, cheapest TV/monitor with an HDMI port (I've seen prices under $100 here in the US) will still be cheaper than an iPad.

3. pake thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply. I'll wait until I get a TV then.

4. jljue macrumors regular

If you already have a monitor with HDMI input, you can use it for the initial setup and then disconnect

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You won't need a screen on a daily basis, but you will need it initially and might possibility need it on occasion in the future if there is some kind of problem or it needs to be reset.

An iPad might be a better Homekit hub, and you will have a built-in screen too.

It is none of my business, but I wonder if you are vision impaired or something. You have no screens in the house but you are posting on MR and want Homekit, so clearly you are not simply against technology like a luddite. Again, none of my business though--it's just interesting to me.