AppleTV blinking after update

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by markw10, Sep 25, 2012.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I was excited to read about the new Apple TV software update last night so quickly went to do the update. I've done many and never had a problem until this time.
    I started the update and the last time I looked at it the download had around 1 minute left. When I went back about a half our later I simply saw the Apple TV's lighting blinking at a quick pace. I don't get any sound or video at all.
    The model that I have is the most recent Apple TV. When doing some Google research I found similar problems but people talked about plugging it in via USB to your computer and syncing with iTunes but I believe that's for the older model. I figured there must be some type of hardware reset but I don't see anything like this.
    is there some way to get it to work again such as by doing a hardware reset or do I have to go to the Genius Bar?

Thanks,

Mark

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

My ATV3 blinked with a blank screen for several minutes before it finished the update. Slow update went fine though.

3. markw10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope it starts working. I did the update last night though and it's still blinking today so I doubt if it'll stop but I unplugged all cables for around a minute and plugged it in and got the same results. I'll try unplugging everything for 30 mins or so and then try again and see what happens.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

try resetting via the remote, menu and down for a few seconds.

if that doesn't work, you can plug in the current version (2 or 3) to your computer and try to restore that way, you'll need a micro usb cable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367

5. markw10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried what you mentioned and that didn't fix it. I also disconnected all cables for approximately 30 mins and that didn't help.
    When looking at it I only see 4 connectors, an Ethernet connector, HDMI connector, power connector, and an optical audio connector. Where is the micro-usb connector?

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

under the HDMI connector, you may not see it if something is plugged into the HDMI

7. markw10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I never realized that Micro-USB port was there. I just plugged it into iTunes and did a restore. It downloaded the latest software and it's working fine now. Thank you!