AppleTV does not do this - but what does?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Wotan31, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I'm hoping some of you video streaming guru's know of a product that accomplishes what I'm looking for!

Currently, I keep backups of all my DVD movies stored in ISO format on my Mac. It's around 800 GB worth of movies. I rip the entire movie disc with languages, surround sound, menus, everything. I want to be able to watch them on my TV using some sort of streaming LAN method, and I want to watch them directly from the ISO files (without having to transcode them into another format).

Basically, something like the music streaming to your home stereo on the Airport Express - but for ISO images of DVD movies streaming to my TV.

Does such a product exist?

2. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can do it with nitoTV.
    You have to hack your ATV inorder to be able to do it.

PM me for more info.

3. Revels macrumors member

Hmmm.

That sounds interesting.

Any more info please?

4. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

People are gonna complain if I post my webpage her, but you might check my signature ;-)

5. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

There are ways to hack your appleTV and install programs on it. This is all freeware, made by private enthusiasts, they just share their work with everybody. Google is your friend here.

try searching for appletv hacks...

Some do frown upon selling the work of others .... but that might be a call everybody should make for oneself....

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

You have to pay for that, advertising is against forum rules.

OP search "Apple TV Hacks" and you will find the top 5 sites to your liking if you want to do it for free.

7. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

We are not selling the software of others as it is all freeware. We offer a service for people ho do either not have the skils or the time to do all the research on the net.
    It is up to everyone to decide whether they want to pay for a service or not. some people wash their cars themselves, others pay 20 Euros do do it. It is you decision how valuable your time is....

8. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

You can put it that way, and it seems more fair. Although i tend to disagree with the point you're making, i'm not going to argue.

9. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Google awkwardTV.
    Plethora of information there.

10. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Have a look at XBMC for an old X-Box to do exactly what you want, if you want to try it out there is a mac port called Plex which you may want to have a look at.

plexapp.com
    xbmc.org

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell