Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I take you are making your assumptions that there has not been an update ina little while. There have been Three updates though since it was introduced in Jan and shipped in March. However by your assumptions than the Mac Pros are a dead product and the ipods,iMacs, MacBooks and MacBooks Pros should have all been dead products also. They all took many many months to a year to be updated. I really don't see anything it needs right now. Sure the iTunes Movie store could be nice but I dont see me using it. I have it on my Phone and never use it. Only other thing I see is Hi Def downoads and I think that really wont be as big all the way around for all customers because the space they take up. Anyway .... I dont see it being a dead product. It as had three canges in about 7 months.

Kevin :apple:

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Do you think appletv is a dead product?? are there any enhacements to come?

I hope not, this is a pretty neat product. I don't have one yet (emphesis on yet) but am looking at one to replace one of the DVR boxes in my house. Since I watch very little TV shows and the ones I do watch are on iTunes and movies I normally buy since I'm getting sick of watching Star Wars Episodes 1-6 for 2 months straight cuz it's all one of the movie channels show, the movie channels are really beginning to sicken me.

I'm not much into renting as I'd rather buy and I do watch the movies I buy more than once. If they update iTunes like they're rumored to, I'll definitely get an AppleTV soon. As I'd rather watch the shows I buy or movies I buy (provided I buy them from iTunes) on my widescreen TV rather than my iMac and I don't want to lug my iMac from office to Living room. I'm still investigating getting one and investigating other alternatives, for what it does, I think it's pretty neat piece of hardware.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I hope not, this is a pretty neat product. I don't have one yet (emphesis on yet)...

I do have one, and I totally agree. It's a really nice product. It didn't 'change my life', which, in a way, kind of makes it a better experience. Every time I use it I am reminded of how nice it is, because I don't have an expectation of it being more than it is.

Might be a little better for me because I use it in conjunction with a TV recorder (Elgato's EyeTV), so I have Tivo-like functionality. YouTube on it is pretty fun, and music, photos, etc, are a nice bonus. Also the movie trailers are really nice. I bought this thing a little bit on a whim, but I've never been sorry I did.

Algalli

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Apple TV Dying?

I hope not. I want my kids to get me one for Christmas but I worry that a new and very improved version will be announced at MacWorld. I don't mind being the first but I don't want to be the last person to get an item

Al

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Do i like the Apple TV? Yes, a lot. It's very useful and good at what it does.

Do i think Apple will continue it? I'm really not sure at all. We might get a quick revision, but i don't think it will see 2009. :(

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I take you are making your assumptions that there has not been an update ina little while. There have been Three updates though since it was introduced in Jan and shipped in March. However by your assumptions than the Mac Pros are a dead product and the ipods,iMacs, MacBooks and MacBooks Pros should have all been dead products also. They all took many many months to a year to be updated. I really don't see anything it needs right now. Sure the iTunes Movie store could be nice but I dont see me using it. I have it on my Phone and never use it. Only other thing I see is Hi Def downoads and I think that really wont be as big all the way around for all customers because the space they take up. Anyway .... I dont see it being a dead product. It as had three canges in about 7 months.

Kevin :apple:

There's a TON that it's missing. The biggest is probably surround sound, although there are many other things like internet radio, iTunes store purchases from the TV, streaming video from websites (whether that's quicktime or other formats like the TV networks are using to stream their shows for free with commercials) etc.

I think it's a nice version 1.0 of the product, but the updates have been minimal. It's just not there yet, the longer it goes without an update, the more it looks like they're abandoning it. They need to either update it or kill it. SOON.

I'd love to buy one, but the original just isn't there yet, and I don't want to get something like this if it's a dead end.

jota73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
South America
Well just thought to ask... the appleTV sales have not been that good though...
Again, I just think is a product that still has lot to offer and udpate... howcome it does not offer any kind of HD output nevertheless how come it does not include basic VGA cables?

What about DIV/x support... well, just wanted to have some feedback...

thanks

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Too little for too much.

I think it is an issue of to little features for to much money. People want to reduce the clutter on their entertainment center not increase it.
So Far I have a Normal LowDef TV, TiVO, Combo DVD/VHS player, CableBox, Wii, and a Converter for TV Single to FireWire... If iTV could replace the TiVo, DVD Player, and CableBox and FireWire Converter (all which could be done in only a slighly larger form factor) with the features that it already has plus HDTV support for the future at the same price or $100 more then I would gladly get one. But right now It will add to clutter that I don't want to add.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I think it is an issue of to little features for to much money. People want to reduce the clutter on their entertainment center not increase it.
So Far I have a Normal LowDef TV, TiVO, Combo DVD/VHS player, CableBox, Wii, and a Converter for TV Single to FireWire... If iTV could replace the TiVo, DVD Player, and CableBox and FireWire Converter (all which could be done in only a slighly larger form factor) with the features that it already has plus HDTV support for the future at the same price or $100 more then I would gladly get one. But right now It will add to clutter that I don't want to add.

Exactly. At first I thought it sounded cool. Then I tried one. My first thought was, " I have a laptop that can do this and more already". It doesn't do enough for the money.

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
I Hope not...

I have had one since early july, and i like it. I mostly use if for music playback. It really is a great way to be able to access all the music locked up in my mac. Sure, it's not the only way to do it, but it is a good way. I like that it is a dedicated piece of hardware and I don't have to set up anything to use it... other than the TV, of course... the interface is beautiful, simple and efficient... like an iPod.

( It amuses me how much apple can do with such a basic remote. if Marantz made the apple TV, it would have a remote with dozens of buttons. Think I am kidding? I have a Marantz remote with 106 buttons!!)

I think AppleTV does a good job of streaming video and music. My teenage kids have amazed and entertained their friends by showing them YouTube content on the "big screen"... once they start, it is usually a couple of hours before they give it up.

Suggestions for improvement:

A way to bypass the TV, maybe a good remote that would show the itunes content with controls to stream/sync to the receiver independent of the TV?

Surround sound would be nice, but I can live without it.

the ability to purchase content from iTUnes from appleTV would be nice, but not necessary.

Inernet radio would be great.

More/better video podcasts (not that this is apple TV's fault...)

Bottom line: For what it is, AppleTV works well. If you don't expect more than it is designed to do, you should be happy with it. It is not designed for many of the functions people complain that it does not do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.