Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I’m very confused with just how Family Sharing works with AppleTV Channels.

1. Does each member have their own profile? Meaning things like the ‘up next’ strip being for that individual and not a generic of all users.

2. To use channels but not allow any purchasing by other family members, just turn off purchase?

Please explain to me as if I’m very old and slow! :)

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
If I remember correctly when it first came out, there is an Applesque Montage explanation in iTunes when you get into it to set it up. It was enough to make not want to do it. I have had enough trouble with iTunes over the decades. I don't need anymore . . .

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You can share the Apple's original Apple TV+ shows and iTunes libraries with family sharing.

Each member of the family signs in with their own Apple ID and settings, such as up next, will be different for each Apple ID.

You can't share paid subscriptions such as HBO and Showtime.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
You can share the Apple's original Apple TV+ shows and iTunes libraries with family sharing.

Each member of the family signs in with their own Apple ID and settings, such as up next, will be different for each Apple ID.

You can't share paid subscriptions such as HBO and Showtime.

Not sharing paid subscriptions is the killer for me as that is exactly what I want to share. :(

Thanks for the info.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
Not sharing paid subscriptions is the killer for me as that is exactly what I want to share. :(

Thanks for the info.
Apple TV Channels subscriptions are shared among family members. So - Showtime, if you subscribe via Apple TV Channels, will be available for other users who can have their own Up Next queue, etc..

HBO, since it’s no longer available through Apple TV Channels, is not shareable. Same goes for Showtime, if you subscribe outside of Apple TV Channels.

This link may help: https://www.imore.com/family-sharing-tv-how-does-it-work

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Apple TV Channels subscriptions are shared among family members. So - Showtime, if you subscribe via Apple TV Channels, will be available for other users who can have their own Up Next queue, etc..

HBO, since it’s no longer available through Apple TV Channels, is not shareable. Same goes for Showtime, if you subscribe outside of Apple TV Channels.

This link may help: https://www.imore.com/family-sharing-tv-how-does-it-work
This only works if the subscription is paid through iTunes, correct?

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Thanks. That’s what I want to be able to share. My son doesn’t own any Apple gear and will be using his FireTV Cube with the AppleTV app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.