Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
I plan to buy a cheap AppleTV just for mirroring my Mac/iPhone screen to TV, so basically just for the AirPlay feature (video+audio).
I dont need atv+, Netflix or other functionalities.
The question is, which version to buy? Do they all have airplay? Found 3rd gen (A1469/A1427) for like 20bucks, will it work?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I plan to buy a cheap AppleTV just for mirroring my Mac/iPhone screen to TV, so basically just for the AirPlay feature (video+audio).
I dont need atv+, Netflix or other functionalities.
The question is, which version to buy? Do they all have airplay? Found 3rd gen (A1469/A1427) for like 20bucks, will it work?
yes

Reactions: kvlq

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
saw that some have airplay and some airplay 2. is there any difference between them?

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
saw that some have airplay and some airplay 2. is there any difference between them?
you want a fourth gen. third gen will allow you to screen mirror, but they are no longer supported. all fourth gen and up support the latest tvos 17 which has many more features including current app store support, acting as a homekit hub, and airplay2 for synchronized multi-room audio.

deals can be had. ive even seen 4k models as low as $45 on ebay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.