Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I checked the AppleTV page, and it says that you need a widescreen TV to use it. My family doesn't happen to own a widescreen TV, nor does my family have any plans to buy a new TV anytime soon. Does this mean I won't be able to use the AppleTV?

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Yeah, I didnt get this either. It must be true though, otherwise apple would not have written 'widescreen only' ...that is a bummer. I wonder why. I understand the component cables but not all component TVs are widescreen.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
So wouldn't that be a no on the HDTV only thing?

Is it scales down on SDTVs, then its not HDTV only..or am I missing something?

I thought that too. Maybe the representative was miss informed thinking it was still HD because it was just being scaled down. It is still sending a signal through the component cables, they might have thought that was an HD signal.

It is a strech... but it could be an easy mistake.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

It sounds like a typical sales response. It probably doesn't work properly on SDTV, so that you're either missing video or seeing a lot of black surrounding it.

allenmertes

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2005
South Bend, IN
I had a similar question because I have an SDTV with a component input. It would seem like I could use an Apple TV just not in HD, but I don't want to drop the $300 if this in not possible. Hopefully this is cleared up soon.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

It doesn't have composite output, I can't even hook it up to any of my SDTV's, and I don't have an HDTV.

Stupid, stupid move on Apple's part. They offer ZERO content in HD (only photos), but make the streaming device HD only because it can't plug in to a regular TV.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
My TV downstairs has 16:9 and Component....I'm pretty sure it will work...I'm ordering one, then I'll big up a new TV in need be

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.