AppleTV freezing when streaming from local PC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Dark54555, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dark54555 macrumors newbie

Been having an odd issue rather suddenly with my AppleTV (gen 2; software up to date) and home sharing form a PC (Win 8.1 x64/iTunes 11.1.4.62). Just started happening in the last few weeks/month and it's never happened before. When playing a file, the stream will stop after a minute or two. If you exit the show and resume, sometimes it will work fine, sometimes it will stop again after another 2 minutes or so. No real rhyme or reason to it.

Nothing on the network has changed (gigabit wired connection between the two) and I haven't had this problem in the previous couple years I've had this appleTV. Only changes would be software updates to iTunes and the AppleTV (and windows, of course). Any ideas what the issue might be?

2. spuggyleeds macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my ATV3 a month or so ago after an update. I would be able to play a film for maybe 30 seconds and then it would stop with just the spinning buffering wheel. I had this on both my wired and wifi ATV3s.

Is the buffering bar going up during playback? I found that the white buffer bar wouldn't move more than maybe 2 minutes and once the film caught up to it would freeze.

My solution was to turn off the ATV3, my router, then power everything back up and restart the ATV3 from the settings menu. It's worked ever since. I think my router may have been jammed somehow, but restarting it worked for me.

Let us know if that works for you.

3. iancheyne macrumors regular

I had similar issues and I'm not sure they are resolved ... I've solved it temporarily several times by restarting my Airport router, but it doesn't seem to be permanently fixed.