AppleTV G5 Hangs/Buffers, Fixed After Reboot

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by briansp, Jul 13, 2016.

1. briansp, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

briansp macrumors newbie

briansp

I have a G5 AppleTV connected to my wireless router by ethernet cable.

I have a regular problem where the AppleTV, when viewing iTunes movies and television content will hang (spinning wheel) when either 1) attempting to view the episodes or details, or 2) when streaming the show.

The only fix is to restart the AppleTV. It will immediately start working again, however often after viewing one or two shows it exhibits the same behavior, and I have to reboot again.

This doesn't ever happen with other sources, such as HBO Now or Netflix.

I have tried replacing the ethernet cable, moving ports on the router to no avail.

I know there are differences with how the AppleTV streams iTunes content vs. the other services and that it is sensitive to what it thinks is poor network quality. However the obvious indicators of network health are good: no packet loss pinging various internet sites, and speedtest.net says I have 60MB down/6MB up.

Any ideas?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Replace with a later gen Apple TV. Problem solved.

4. briansp thread starter macrumors newbie

briansp

I actually have a G5. I mis-remembered what was the latest version.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2016 ---
    Is this a Known Issue?

5. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Helps with troubleshooting.

6. briansp thread starter macrumors newbie

briansp

We tried this to no avail. The wireless router sits about 24" from the AppleTV and we have full signal.

Seemed to work, but then this morning we had the same problem viewing an iTunes TV program: clicked on the show to view program info and it sits and spins forever. Restarted and it immediately starts working again.

7. Agent2015 macrumors regular

Agent2015

What brand router do you have? Who is your internet service provider? Your symptoms sound familiar to an issue I was having earlier this year with my AirPort Extreme and with Cox Internet's implementation of IPV6. By tweaking the IPV6 settings within the Apple Extreme, connection and speed has been very stable for all devices on the network including and AppleTV 4 and an AppleTV 3.