Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnwagyu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Hi, I recently decided to do a little spring cleaning and found my gen1 AppleTV. I plugged it in and everything works great, except that it's been jailbroken and I would like to revert it to original iOS.

I took it in to the Genius' at the Genius Bar but no one was able to help me. Is there anyone on the boards that can help or point me to a resource (local to SF bay area would be great) to help me with this? Hate to just chuck it; I'd love to use it in my garage/mancave to stream youtube and music when I work on the car.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I found this on the web: "In September 2017, with the release of iTunes 12.7, it is no longer possible to sync and stream with the first generation Apple TV, although it is not listed in the iTunes update release notes"

Youtube might still work though, although it might be that Youtube doesn´t support the Apple TV app anymore or that your Apple TV cannot handle the current system demands of the youtube app anymore. All speculation though...

Isn´t it easier to just buy new apple TV or a second hand one?

macnwagyu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah, just thought it would be cool to have a gen1 still playing!

I found this on the web: "In September 2017, with the release of iTunes 12.7, it is no longer possible to sync and stream with the first generation Apple TV, although it is not listed in the iTunes update release notes"

Youtube might still work though, although it might be that Youtube doesn´t support the Apple TV app anymore or that your Apple TV cannot handle the current system demands of the youtube app anymore. All speculation though...

Isn´t it easier to just buy new apple TV or a second hand one?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I remember seeing how to do this on the web somewhere. I believe you have to download an installer that someone made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.