Home AppleTV HomeKit Hub When Sleeping

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by atm2626, Jul 13, 2016.

1. atm2626 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just recently jumped on the Philips Hue hub and set everything up with HomeKit. Today, I noticed that I cannot control my lights when off the network because I put my AppleTV to sleep. From what I understand now, the AppleTV needs to be awake to function as the hub to communicate with the Hue Bridge remotely.

This is not ideal for me as I have now become accustomed to putting my AppleTV asleep in order to automatically turn off my AV receiver and TV.

Is it possible to power off the AV receiver with the appleTV remote some other way without putting it to sleep?

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

It would be kinda stupid of apple to make a feature that is only used when you're away from home, that automatically disables itself when you're away from home.

Are you by chance on the iOS 10 beta?
    My homekit was working great away from home, with iOS 9 and an asleep aTV4 at the house
    But not so much since I did the public beta upgrade.

3. atm2626 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting...I am not using any beta and should be up to date. Perhaps it's because I'm manually putting the ATV to sleep? I read that this is a known issue so I'm interested how you got it to work.

4. waw74, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

waw74 macrumors 68030

Didn't really do anything,

I have 2 aTV4, and I manually sleep both (how I shut off the TV). When I was on iOS9, it just worked.
    They're both on wi-fi, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I've now even tried updating my iPad to the iOS 10 beta, as it can act as a home hub now, but can't get that to work either.

----
    Just as an update. (Doesn't really help you much though)
    Since the second public beta came out, remote access has been pretty rock solid. (And the new home app, and access in control center are pretty nice)
    Changed nothing in the house itself.