AppleTV & iPhone file using handbrake

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bwfc0907, Dec 23, 2013.

1. bwfc0907 macrumors regular

Is it possible to convert a Blu-Ray to 1080p using handbrake to watch on appletv and also then add the file to my iphone?

I have been using the AppleTV 3 preset with no problems to watch on the AppleTV 3 but it won't let me add the movie to my iphone.

2. rayward macrumors 68000

I think most people here, myself included, dual-encode their BD rips: one on the ATV preset and one on the iPhone preset. You should be able to add to - and play - your ATV encodes on your iPhone, but they take up tons of room. My ATV encodes range from 4GB to 12GB, so if you only have a 16GB iPhone you're not going to have much luck adding movies with those sizes of files.

iPhone encodes are rarely larger than 1GB, and you're not losing anything because they're optimised for the iPhone's screen size and resolution.

3. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

I rarely put them on my iphone but from time to time would like the odd movie. Any reason why encoded with the AppleTV 3 preset they won't go onto the phone? Could it be the audio choice?

4. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

I think he is referring to size problems on the iPhone, not if they'll play. If you have the space, and a resent-ish iPhone, then you should be able to play ATV3 encoded 1080p files.

As for audio, you should get a sampled-down 2.0 audio file (along with the bigger 5.1+ multichannel audio file) in a handbrake encode, that the iPhone can play.

However, as the previous poster mentioned, a lot of people make 2 files each... 1 for ATV/home theater and 1 for mobile use (which takes up a lot less room).

HTH

5. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

Great help from you both. I was putting 5.1 before 2.0, now I've done it the other way I can get the file on to my iphone. Thanks.

Going back to the initial response I'd like to explore this. Can I add both files to 1 iTunes entry?

I also have an iPad & the kids a mini, am I better doing the 2nd rip for iPad or again am I better having a 3rd rip? Plenty of space on my hard drive so storage no issue.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If you mean "can I consolidate both resolution files in iTunes into a single entry?", then the answer is Yes, provided you assign both the same Content ID metadata tag.
    This goes the easiest with Subler, but if the clip is not available in iTunes Store, you need to invent your own ID-s.
    http://mac.appstorm.net/reviews/video/subler-organize-and-tag-your-itunes-movies-and-tv-shows/

7. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, I use MetaX on my only Windows PC because of the size of the storage. When do you see the choice of 1080p, 720p and iphone quality when you have imported them to iTunes to decide which to use when adding to ipad or iphone?

8. rayward, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

rayward macrumors 68000

Seconded!

Subler is gets better with every update, and it's been revised heavily since the instructions in the above-linked article were written. It improved its web search pull down to bring in the Apple Content ID and the iTunes poster art (which I prefer because it's usually a "clean" poster without all the studio detail all over it) so you can ignore those steps described in the article.

Here's what I do:

(1) Encode the two version of the movie in HB, making sure to web optimize both versions (it's quicker to do it while coding than later, but Subler has an "Optimize" function that does this too).

(2) Open one in Subler and search for the metadata. Subler will pull in all the file information, including the iTunes poster art and the Content ID. Edit as you see fit (I usually cut down the movie description and copy the short version into both the long and short description fields - one is used by iTunes and the other by ATV) and save the file.

NOTE: Chapters
    If you're adding Chapter data, either by manually typing the text or by importing from a text file, do this at the end of this step (2), before saving the file. When you copy across the metadata in step (3), it will copy the chapters too.

(3) Open the other version in Subler and select File-Import-Metadata. Locate the tagged version of your movie and double-click it. Subler will copy your edited tags into this version.

(4) IMPORTANT: Before saving the second version, go to the Other Settings tab, and adjust the HD tag to be the correct setting for this version (it will have copied the setting from the source version). Save the file.

(5) Here's where things have gone a little awry, thanks to something weird in the latest version of iTunes. You used to be able to drag and drop both files into iTunes at the same time and, because of the matching Content ID, it would "nest" the two version into one entry, giving it an "HD-SD" flag. Lately though, this hasn't been working, which has something to do with the audio bitrate.

To force iTunes to accept both versions, I do this: Drag and drop the HD version into iTunes. While this is copying, open your iTunes library in Finder and navigate to the new folder for your new movie. Drag the SD version directly into this folder. Once it's copied over, select the SD file and "Open With" iTunes - you can close this file as soon as it opens. Now, iTunes will recognize both files as one movie.

(6) iTunes defaults to feeding the HD version to every authorized device, unless you tell it not to. To manage which of your devices get which version of the movie, go to the respect device manager pages in iTunes (you may need to dock your iDevices to do this), and on the Summary page, elect the SD preference if that's what you want for that device.

9. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks for this. I use MetaX in windows though so unfortunately I don't think it's quite the same thing.