AppleTV-Like Universal Remote Control

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by XmasRights, May 20, 2014.

1. XmasRights macrumors newbie

Hi All,

The remote control for my TV broke, so I'm looking to buy a nice universal remote for my setup. The reality is, I only ever used this remote for volume, and everything else is done through the AppleTV remote.

Does anyone know of a nice, minimal, universal remote control that has just the controls on an Apple TV, a volume control, and nothing else.

Kind Regards,
    Chris

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I use a harmony remote, which works well with ATV and pretty much everything else, but has a lot of buttons you won't be using. I've never seen a universal remote that does only ATV + Volume, but you can find very small remotes that just do TV like this one: Keychain remote at Amazon

I'm a big fan of the Harmony because it can be programmed to turn on and control multiple devices - like TV + ATV + Audio System - with one button.

3. JAT, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

JAT macrumors 603

Try these.
    http://www.weemote.com/products.html

Or search MX200 remotes on Ebay, probably the only place to find them, now. Probably perfect for what you want, but discontinued 10 or more years ago.

4. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

Another vote for Harmony, I have the Harmony One and have even bought a backup one since they don't make that model anymore should it break.

5. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Harmony remotes are very nice. I have had a number over the years. Replaced only for newer features such as rechargeable battery.

Customer Service has been exceptional the two times that I used them. First time was that the "paint" on the buttons wore off within 6 months. They replaced it at no charge. The second time a button cracked. They replaced it at no charge.

6. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

You could set your iOS device up to do it with the Roomie Remote app, but it wouldn't be the cheapest option. You would need IR blasters that connects to your Ethernet ($77 - $111 for wifi) and the Roomie app. You would also lose hard buttons since the iOS devices use touch screen. However, you can set it up to just have control of the TV and Appletv without extra buttons.

Personally, I would just get a universal like the cheapest Harmony and go that route.

7. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

Harmony remotes on 3 TVs here, have used them for years. 2 of these TVs have Apple TVs attached and the Harmony remote works like a charm

8. JAT macrumors 603

You all realize that the only Harmony that would fit the OP's requirement of "minimal" buttons is the original Harmony 745, which no longer is made. And very hard to find for sale, used or whatever.

I suppose the Harmony Touch wouldn't be too bad, but it's very expensive for this discussion, I think.

9. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

10. troy14 macrumors 6502a

A harmony remote (I use a Harmony One myself) would be complete overkill for this person.

11. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Yeah, he could probably use one of the $6 RCA universal remotes (assuming they work with the Appletv and the OP's TV).