AppleTV newbie question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by logansmullet, Dec 27, 2013.

1. logansmullet macrumors newbie

Hi. I just read about an open emulator for Mac only that plays great old video games (openemu.org). I was thinking that if I bought an AppleTV I could stream the emulator from my macbook to my TV and play on the big screen. I know you may never have tried this emulator before but does the concept seem to work? I have only just seen an Apple TV in action on Christmas so I only know it works with iPads and iPhones for photos and music. Does it stream the internet to the TV too?

Thanks for your help in advance!
    SHawn

2. mic j macrumors 68030

You can mirror the screen from an iPad, iPhone to the aTV. Where you disappointment may be is the small amount of lag between what you do on the device screen and what you see on the tv screen. Not a problem for watching things like movies or presentations, but not the best for game playing.

3. logansmullet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! You didn't list MacBook. Can you mirror that?

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

This should work, as long as Airplay Mirroring is supported on your Mac (check here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404), there may be some lag though.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

No MacBook will work with airplay mirroring. Has to have a Sandy bridge or better CPU. Anything of 2011 or newer.