AppleTV, not iTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DockMac, Oct 28, 2011.

1. DockMac macrumors regular

What is the rational behind calling Apple's TV product, AppleTV instead of iTV? Every other product starts with an i, iMac, iPhone, iPad, iPod. There must be a reason...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It was called the iTV when it was first previewed in late 2006. But when it was finally released to the public, its name was changed to Apple TV.

3. darster Suspended

They may be saving that for when they make an all in one TV.

4. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Didn't they get sued or at least get the threat of a lawsuit from some company in the U.K. called iTV? I thought I remembered that as one of the reasons why it was demoed as iTV but changed later on.

Could be my memory failing me too...

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Fact Is

ITV is a registered and copyright UK tv franchise......Simples.

6. DockMac thread starter macrumors regular

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

But I really wish it was called iTV. Really would streamline the product line very nicely.

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

If you like you can call it iTV, In fact my wife and kids call it iTV all the time.

9. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

Calling it iTV would just make me think of trashy reality shows and Simon Cowell... So glad it's called the AppleTV instead.

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

The crappy network in the UK which thought Apple would 'damage' their brand. Despite the fact that their execs have been doing a great job of this themselves! It's just awful daytime tv, soaps and reality tv.

11. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Like most channels... 100s of channels on cable / satellite, full of *****!

12. AlexGyani macrumors newbie

iTV was one of 3 channels on terrestial TV from 1955 to 1982 in the UK. More people in the UK are probably aware of iTV than Apple (these people are mainly old ladies). There is no way it would be called iTV.

13. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

As I live in the UK, and therefore get ITV (even though I don't watch it much), and I use the EyeTV card to record TV on my Mac, I'm quite pleased that Apple didn't call it the iTV.

It gets confusing enough already. :)

14. adbe macrumors 6502a

Yes, but ITV has also been in business for far longer than Apple, has a registered trademark that is tightly associated with the act of watching television, and has spent significant sums of money over the last half a century promoting its brand[1]. All things considered, ITV plc is perfectly within its rights to tell Apple to f-ck off.

Apple would rightly have a hissy if a record label decided to call itself Ipod Recordings.

[1] Technically ITV isn't and has never been one single company, but that's beside the point.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

...Macbook, Mac Mini, Mac Pro.

So much for that.

16. jlewisdaville macrumors newbie

Let us not forget that iPhone was a product and a trademark that belonged to Cisco before Apple decided to use it. So, the fact that someone else is using the name iTV doesn't mean that Apple won't use it.

17. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I would bet that when Apple does release a flat panel tv that it does have an "i" name, just not itv. Think about it...

:apple:

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That was just a product name (and an insignificant product at that) which Cisco sold to Apple.

ITV is the name of the company and they have been using that name since 1955. I very much doubt Cisco would give up their 'Cisco' name if Apple ever wanted to use that and I think it's just as unlikely that ITV plc will be giving up their name.

19. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I know it's slightly different, but I grew up with LWT. ITV (well Granada) got rid of that without batting as much of an eyelid, so Apple offering them some money might sway them to just change their name or just license it

20. adbe macrumors 6502a

If they do so without negotiating with the trademark owner then they risk an injunction against all sales throughout the process of what would likely be a very expensive court case. Abusing a trademark with the weight of ITV would end badly for Apple.

If you want to find out how that works try opening a chain of concession stands and calling them Pepsi.

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

22. adbe macrumors 6502a

If you have the time, money, and desire to further human knowledge, then feel free to try it and get back to us. An IgNoble surely awaits.

Should you also come to be immortalized as a statue somewhere, and if I happened to be in the area, it'd be my very honor to the scare a few of the pigeons away.