AppleTV owners, quick question!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by lifeboy001, Oct 5, 2007.

1. lifeboy001 macrumors member

Does anybody know if I play music from iTunes through AppleTV, is the library (playcounts, date played) updated? Most of my lists are affected by when I last listened to a song, and I wouldn't want that to be changed if I'm listening to music on the second floor through an AppleTV.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Clearly it won't if you sync (copy) the music to the Apple TV and disconnect it from the network, but if it stays connectded then, rather than guess, I'd be glad to test this for you, both with songs from the primary (synced) Mac and from a secondary networked Mac that streams music.

If nobody else posts the answer during the day today, I'll test it in the evening and post my results.

3. lifeboy001 thread starter macrumors member

I would assume that I would be keeping the AppleTV's HD free of music and thus connected to the network.

Thanks for the help- unless Apple can make it easy for me to switch to remote speakers using a Keyspan remote (which the company asserts is not happening any time soon), this is my only choice.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My limited testing of this a while back seemed to indicate that playcounts & last played fields are NOT updated when playing from the :apple:TV, regardless of whether the content was synced or streamed.

Let's see what Q finds.

B

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I did the experiment.

Results:
    When I played synced music on the Apple TV from its primary (synced) Mac, the playcounts were updated on that Mac in iTunes.

When I played streamed music on the Apple TV from another Mac on the network, the playcounts were updated on that Mac in iTunes.​
    That's not the result you were hoping for, but at least now we know.

6. lifeboy001 thread starter macrumors member

No, that is what I was hoping for- constant updating of my primary music library! When I said "I wouldn't want that changed", I meant my current method of creating automatic playlists. Thanks so much for checking for me, as should Apple because now I'll go buy that AppleTV.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Just confirming that it works here too. Play counts are updated for both streamed and synced video and music.