AppleTV playing Mario Bros. with Joystick

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by RustyM, Apr 7, 2007.

1. RustyM macrumors regular

RustyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOiJq7M0-YA

Youtube video of me playing mario on my ATV. Standard ATV OS with a few hacks.

Pretty simple hack to accomplish. Just enabled shh. Then VNC, AFP and USB. Then installed Nestopia and Emulator Enhancer.

Easy only because many people have spent hundreds of hours figuring out these hacks. Check them out:

www.awkwardtv.org
    wiki.awkwardtv.org

2. robPOD macrumors 6502

wow you must feel like the man spending 3+ hours figuring out how to play mario on your tv when you could spend under 30 seconds and do it from ur computer.

3. vniow macrumors G4

You suck.

That's a pretty cool thing to do with the :apple:TV though. Even if it would take 30 seconds to do it on your computer as so eloquently stated its nice to see that its possible to do such things on the device.

4. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

What a stupid and unnecessary comment. Go away troll.

Kudos to RustyM. It would be great to see a bunch of emulators running in AppleTV and easily accessible from the ATV menu.

Joshua.

5. urista macrumors newbie

urista

i'm sure he wasn't fulfilling his craving to play mario.

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

8. RustyM thread starter macrumors regular

RustyM

Thx guys!

I should probablly clarify: What I did real only too a few hours and I could only do it cause the real hackers paved the way. I'm totally a newb with the termanial :eek:

Hopefully some really cool developers see the potential of :apple:TV and build some great hacks into it's interface. Or build XBMC 3.0 on it :rolleyes:

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Cool. Now if emulator and EyeTV functionality can be built into the AppleTV UI I'll pick one up in an instant :eek:

10. ctakim macrumors 6502

Clueless in the forum award. Back off, man :mad:

11. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

12. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I won't be as harsh as previous posters, as they also should try to be more stoic.

But I will say that any original research/achievement should not be poo pooed, but rather seen as another data point. Clearly RustyM has done something and is sharing his data with us. At the most, we should take his information into account and learn from it.

13. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

The main reason why I keep my xbox around is because of all the emulated games I can play on it (yes, xmbc is also awesome i agree). Assuming that you could play with two controllers controllers this would be wicked.

14. Stadsport macrumors regular

You must feel like the man making fun of people on the internet. Please see johnee's post.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

And to think how happy I was (~1 hour ago) when I managed to get an N64 emulator running with my 360 Controller configured to perfection...Congratulations!

16. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Yeah, everyone knows real men would rather spend their time giving people catty comments from the safety of their own keyboard.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It really needs to be hacked for XBMC - though going from 733Mhz to 1Ghz probably wouldn't be much use. We really need XBMC for the 360 or the Wii though.