AppleTV, please elaborate...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbg123, Aug 30, 2014.

1. jbg123 macrumors newbie

Can someone please explain the use and value of it, what's a v3 box worth, do I need a subscription of any sort or just to the providers like NetFlix for the feed or something? Thanks in advance.

2. n0cus, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

n0cus macrumors 6502

I don't exactly understand what you are asking, but I will try. On v2 and v3 Apple TVs, you will need a subscription for almost any service you use like Netflix or huluPLUS. That doesn't come with the purchase of you Apple TV. The Apple TV streams everything, and doesn't store any iTunes content. Hopefully this answers your question.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

As n0cus has pointed out, NetFlix, Hulu, Vimeo, YouTube and several other popular streaming services are available on the Apple TV. In that sense, it's a bit like a Roku box. No additional subscription to Apple is required-- only that which you would pay to subscribe to a desired service. There's a healthy mix of subscription-based and free channels, as well as a direct line to the iTunes Store where you can rent and watch movies without having to download to a computer first.

One thing that Apple TV can do that Roku and the others can't is the ability to "read" an existing iTunes library from a Mac that has iTunes running and play music or movies from it. This prevents having to "sync" the media, and for those with very large media libraries, it's a game-changer. Those of you that have kids that love to watch children's movies and TV shows nonstop will appreciate not having to swap out DVDs-- trust me, kids figure out the user interface REALLY quickly.

Another is AirPlay, which allows an iOS device or Mac to transmit its video or audio onto an Apple TV over WiFi.

Apple TV 3 currently retails for $99 USD (refurb ATV3s are a pretty good buy). Apple TV 2, on the other hand, commands more money on eBay and other reselling channels, as ATV2 can be "jailbroken" to do some things that stock ATVs can't, like XBMC (XBox Media Center) and a LOT of international channels.

4. jbg123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the replies to you both. So basically it makes a tv a SmartTV in a sense that it adds media streaming capability based on the services you subscribe and pay for correct? In addition to that, when downloading content it needs to be connected via WiFi to a Mac or IOS computer to store the data you buy, say from iTunes? So all media bought, music and video/shows purchased from iTunes are streamed back from the computer, to the Apple TV, then to the actual HDTV correct? This would add the benefit of everything in iTunes is always backed up, and you could stream music from iTunes, to AppleTV through your surround system per say to the house or living room as well rather than through the computer alone?

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Plus if you are already an iTunes user you can use the AppleTV to steam media from your Macs. Plus did you hear of Airplay?

6. n0cus macrumors 6502

Yeah, it basically makes your TV smart. You can do pretty much anything the Apple TV does on your computer. All it does is make it more convenient to stream your content to your TV or surround sound system.

7. jbg123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok great I thought so but makes better sense now. No I do not know what Airplay is?

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

AirPlay is an Apple communications protocol that allows Mac computers and iOS devices to stream their audio and/or video to a compatible device; the Apple TV was one of the very first AirPlay devices. Mac computers can also use AirPlay to "mirror" (duplicate) the computer's display on the Apple TV screen; so can iOS devices in combination with certain applications (a great way to get iPhone/iPod touch games on a big screen).

A person with an iOS device that's not normally part of your setup could also show photos, home videos and the like on your Apple TV without having to connect physically to the TV. This is good for family visits.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Read about it right from Apple AirPlay. Plus some cool Pioneer Elite AV Receivers have AirPlay in them too.