Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jchildress

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I just picked up an ATV this weekend and was wondering if it ever powers off? I see no "Power Off" option in the menu or on the remote, so I assume that it goes into a sleep mode or something like that.

Is it safe to keep the ATV on, assuming it goes into power save? Or is there some way that I should be powering it down?

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
There's no way to really power it down but you can force it into sleep mode by holding down the play/pause button for a few seconds. Screen should go black and the little green light will turn off.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
There's no way to really power it down but you can force it into sleep mode by holding down the play/pause button for a few seconds. Screen should go black and the little green light will turn off.

but is it normal for it to still be hot after a few hours of it being in sleep mode?

tomd51

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Unfortunately, yes. Some owners have reported that it does get cooler after putting it in 'standby' for a period of a half hour or more, but I've noticed a minimal difference at best.

This was physically one of the poorest decisions (IMHO) that Apple made on this device... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.