Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Just curious if anyone is able to control their TV Volume with the AppleTV Remote App (iPhone)?

I have two set-ups,

TV1 <- Soundbar via HDMI port 1 / AppleTV via HDMI port 2. Remote App controls volume no problem + turn on/off, all functionality

On the other set, the volume controls function stopped

TV2 <- AppleTV via HDMI port 1

In the past the volume controls worked, swapped it out with TV1 and had the Soundbar + AppleTV connected and that worked, in the past standalone TV<->AppleTV 4 volume controls worked. Not sure what changed (no tv updates seem to affect it).

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
It works well on the hdmi connected sound bar, with just the tv it did work briefly, early on with the initial appletv 4 release and app.

It certainly powers on and off the tv.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
It works well on the hdmi connected sound bar, with just the tv it did work briefly, early on with the initial appletv 4 release and app.

It certainly powers on and off the tv.

I have an LG and no soundbar currently just TV sound and it never worked to turn the volume.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
thanks for the confirmation, must have been a fluke since I did not add a soundbar until a few months after.

Hopefully this can be updated in a software release. Siri remote works fine of course (IR).

Reactions: BeefCake 15
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.