Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Now that there are appletv remote options built into control center of iOS is there still a need for the dedicated remote app? Does control center do what is needed?

Thanks.

rolandhurt31

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2016
The ATV Remote App & the ATV Control Centre Remote are exactly the same functionality wise, the only difference is the app has a wider track pad area compared the the Control Centre Remote. I only tend to use the iOS Remotes for the keyboard for searching or entering passwords.

Roland

Reactions: kat.hayes

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The app also has the "Details" section with the playbar and valuable section containing play next list, lyrics, audio- and subtitle selection controls etc (you need to scroll the detail view up to see these).
Only the trackpad control is implemented in control center.

Reactions: kat.hayes

rolandhurt31

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2016
The app also has the "Details" section with the playbar and valuable section containing play next list, lyrics, audio- and subtitle selection controls etc (you need to scroll the detail view up to see these).
Only the trackpad control is implemented in control center.

I never noticed the Details section in the app before, makes it slightly more use than the actual Remote itself.

Roland

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
If I am merely controlling via a remote, the Control Center widget is fine. if I want to see how much is left on the show/movie/etc. and have more functionality I use the App.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
for me, in the control center app, the skip forward/back buttons don't show up a lot of the time. (and sometimes changing where i access the control center from (in an app, "desktop", or lock screen) will cause them to appear)

and considering that skip forward/back doesn't seem to work from my remote, it gets really annoying.
(yes i know how to do it, works just fine on my regular aTV 4)
(the skip icon shows on the screen when you rest your finger on the side of remote, but nothing happens when you click)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.