Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marawd3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
Geneva, CH
Hello y'all,

I'd like to know, is there some sort of hidden method for the iPad to download the 4K HDR versions of AppleTV+ series like See or The Morning Show?

Right now I can only get the HD version of those shows.

It's a known fact the iPad Pro is more than capable of playing 4K content, so to me it just seems utterly ridiculous that 4K content be restricted only for those who own a TV from Apple.

I live in a small studio apartment, my iPad IS MY TV. And as a customer, it's profoundly unfair to not have acces to 4K content.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Sorry, nope. None of the content providers will stream 4K to iOS devices at the moment. You can get 1080p HDR but not 4K.

Only way to get 4K movies on the iPad is to buy 4K Blu-ray and rip it yourself. I did this for Avengers: Endgame and it's gorgeous (playback of SMB/network share via Infuse Pro). My PC's ancient and couldn't transcode H.265 so I just played the full quality rip.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I'm not sure you'd see a huge difference. The iPad isn't a 4k screen and it should already be close to the limit of what your eyes can resolve. Apple will stream HDR (at 1080p) to iPads and that's a bigger difference. Although not all streaming services seem to support HDR on the iPad. Some do have that arbitrarily linked to UHD playback.

You may not be getting full quality because streaming services have voluntarily throttled their playback in many countries because of the corona virus and millions of people sheltering-in-place.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm not sure you'd see a huge difference. The iPad isn't a 4k screen and it should already be close to the limit of what your eyes can resolve. Apple will stream HDR (at 1080p) to iPads and that's a bigger difference. Although not all streaming services seem to support HDR on the iPad. Some do have that arbitrarily linked to UHD playback.
The increase in sharpness and detail is actually surprisingly noticeable on the 12.9" iPad (tend to use it at 1.5-2 ft distance). Granted, I agree HDR is a bigger improvement.

On the 10.5" model, I don't really notice a difference between 1080p and 4K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.