Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cagle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
I have AppleTV connected to Time Capsule by Ethernet. The TC houses our iTunes library. I’m finding that the AppleTV is struggling to stream videos smoothly, resulting in pauses every 20 seconds or so. I always knew our Wi-Fi -802.11 g network was slow (browsing the TC in finder is often interrupted by the spinning beach ball), but I don’t understand how the Ethernet wired connection can suffer too.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
well, I would presume your computer with iTunes on it is connected to the TC via wireless ?

If so you should realize that the atv is not streaming right from the TC. The TC is feeding your iTunes on your computer, then the computer is feeding the atv. So I *think* you are actually double streaming wirelessley even though the TC and atv are connected by ethernet. On 802.11G that would cause stalling as the network tries to keep up.

Cagle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
well, I would presume your computer with iTunes on it is connected to the TC via wireless ?

If so you should realize that the atv is not streaming right from the TC. The TC is feeding your iTunes on your computer, then the computer is feeding the atv. So I *think* you are actually double streaming wirelessley even though the TC and atv are connected by ethernet. On 802.11G that would cause stalling as the network tries to keep up.

tark! so I guess it's time to get some ethernet cables. thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.