Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
I have several movies on a hard drive that were not purchased from the iTunes Store. I have just noticed that, when playing the files through my Marantz receiver, the source sound is only stereo. I have checked on the Mac mini under System Preferences/sound and the selected output is HDMI. I could have sworn that not long ago, the sound output was "Multi-channel". For 99% of my movies the audio is 5.1 or 7.1 channels.
What am I doing wrong?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have several movies on a hard drive that were not purchased from the iTunes Store.

Where did they come from? How are they encoded?

Check the encoding of the file with something like the Mediainfo app:

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 8.31.36 PM.png

What do you get?

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I have my Apple TV 4K connected to HDMI to my Sony Bravia Z9D and it has stopped passing through surround over optical to my receiver. I had to change the Apple TV’s Audio Format setting to transcode everything to DD 5.1 to get any surround sound. Anyone else had this problem or have thoughts on how to solve it?

sdp77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
I have my Apple TV 4K connected to HDMI to my Sony Bravia Z9D and it has stopped passing through surround over optical to my receiver. I had to change the Apple TV’s Audio Format setting to transcode everything to DD 5.1 to get any surround sound. Anyone else had this problem or have thoughts on how to solve it?
My AppleTV 4k is connected to a Marantz Dolby Atmos receiver and, except for the movies and tv series purchased on iTunes, it only passes stereo sound. Something definitely changed in Catalina.
[automerge]1574815224[/automerge]
Again, how are the files encoded?
The files are encoded using Handbrake.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have checked on the Mac mini under System Preferences/sound and the selected output is HDMI.

My AppleTV 4k is connected to a Marantz Dolby Atmos receiver and, except for the movies and tv series purchased on iTunes, it only passes stereo sound.

A bit confused here. Are you playing directly from the mini to the TV?

except for the movies and tv series purchased on iTunes, it only passes stereo sound.

Assuming Apple TV playback, purchased movies played from iTunes are OK, but .mv4 files that you created and put into iTunes lose their surround sound?

Which app are you using to play them on the Apple TV? The Apple TV app or Home Sharing? Any difference one vs the other?

If you install Infuse and point it to the location of your ripped .mv4 files does that work?

sdp77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
I'm sorry but you are going in the wrong direction. I have mentioned from the start that everything worked before Catalina: Multi Channel in wherever required. Under System Preferences/Sound?HDMI there was the option to select Surround Sound. After Catalina, stereo only for all files. There are no more options under HDMI.
There is a whole thread under MacOs describing problems with the HDMI connection where people even have no picture.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
A bit confused here. Are you playing directly from the mini to the TV?

Assuming Apple TV playback, purchased movies played from iTunes are OK, but .mv4 files that you created and put into iTunes lose their surround sound?

Which app are you using to play them on the Apple TV? The Apple TV app or Home Sharing? Any difference one vs the other?

If you install Infuse and point it to the location of your ripped .mv4 files does that work?
Just forget about it. It seems you are totally confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.