AppleTV UI Concept

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by monaarts, Feb 13, 2014.

1. monaarts macrumors 65816

Hi All,

For work I had to create some new UI as a concept so I started to play with the AppleTV UI. I figured I'd post these on here for fun to see what you guys though. So far I've only finished the UI from the movie info screen but will post more when I complete other views.

Attached Files:

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol having a maps application for the Apple TV :p (just joking, I get the point of that image).

It looks interesting and very well done, but that grey bar at the top is very un-apple like. It's just too distraction. Maybe you could change it to black, with the text and logo a white, but even that doesn't sound apple-ish.

But it does bring out possibility to a new remote. Maybe something to do with motion control, (swipe in a downward fashion to reveal the notification center, etc), but even that doesn't sound too awesome (seeing as gestures would have to be pretty significant and a small finger motion would get much attention).

3. monaarts, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

The reason I put the Maps app on here was because I think it could be cool to find a location on your AppleTV and send it to your iPhone like you can on OSX now. Also, it could potentially open the door for advertising. Think of a McDonald's commercial coming on and hearing "Click to find your nearest location" and then it showing up on maps, where you can simply send it to your phone.

The white bar at the top was something I wasn't sure of either but I think it allows for things like multi-tasking. For example, if you had music playing it could show there as "Now Playing" and it could also be where notifications appear. Notification options could be "New Homeland Episode Available," as an example.

I think the one thing that Apple could do is break down all the walls between Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, my Library, HBO, etc etc by creating a integrated search that finds something everywhere. :)

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

i see what you did here. bringing the iOS7 style.
    BUT...I can see in the first image even the actor is annoyed by that translucent grey bar.
    I get annoyed with those light transparencies on the movie "screen" as it is on the iPhone. that would really annoy me on the TV.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

so you put a translucent grey bar over the current Apple TV UI ? ;)

6. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Not sure where you see this screen in the current UI. This one is cleaner IMO (maybe minus the upper translucent bar).

7. kolax macrumors G3

A more refined Plex interface would be ideal for me.

Something like left to right moves between full screen views for TV shows, movies, music, apps/games. Up/down for selecting an episode etc. Or use Siri and it'll take you there instantly.

Having to press menu a half a dozen times (or holding it down for a while) to get back to the main menu, then pressing more buttons to get into a different category (e.g. TV shows to music) is really tedious. Being able to instantly swipe from TV shows to movies would be brilliant.

8. brendu macrumors 68020

In the movies section when you click on Enders Game. Before choosing whether to preview or buy it. Looks like he just took out the preview and buy options.

9. escdrift macrumors member

its just iOS7 slapped on apple tv's current look.