AppleTV videos--> Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brian doherty, Oct 1, 2008.

1. brian doherty macrumors member

So I've built up my itunes library using hand brake, converting all my DVD's using the AppleTV preset. I'm going to go jump out on a limb and say the data rate of 2500 kbs +/- would be too much for the iPhone to handle. Also, Handbrake doesn't seem capable of accepting pure video files to convert.

I forsee buying an 8GB iphone this weekend, and was wondering what the best route would be to batch convert all of my AppleTV content (specifically, TV episodes) to a data rate that not only the iPhone could "handle", but that would also save space.

The AppleTV content is on an external hard drive attached to my iMac, it would need to be on my MacBookPro for syncage. I ran a test with a DVD using hand brake's iphone preset and the result didn't look bad, it was also about 40% smaller compared to it's AppleTV preset counterpart.

I've got Final Cut Express at my disposal if that would be of any help.

Thanks in advance

2. DaveOZ macrumors regular

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I usually bring the bit rate on down to about 600kbps. They will look a bit grainy on a TV but the look really good on the iPhone and any of the iPods. This will put a feature length movie at about 600 MB and a TV show at about 300 MB.

You can probably use Quicktime Pro to do the conversion or there may be a way to do it in Final Cut Express but I don't know off the top of my head since I'm more familiar with Final Cut Pro and exporting is very different there.

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

It may take a while and is probably not the quickest solution, but you could convert all of your DVDs using Handbrake again, this time choosing the iPhone/iPod Touch setting.

I'm not sure how much room you have on your external drive, but you could convert only the movies you watch most often or want to have on hand and store them there or directly on your iMac or MBP. Because you are considering the 8GB iPhone, you will only be able to store between 6 and 10 movies on it depending on the file sizes. Just something to keep in mind before you convert all of your movies.

Hope this helps! :)

5. brian doherty thread starter macrumors member

Here are some more details.

I hope to convert all 4 of my Futurama seasons to a lower data rate. Because each season is 4 dvds, and each dvd is 4-5 episodes, reencoding is not on my list of wants.

Visual hub looks interesting. Are there any free programs out there?

I'm not worried about getting all the videos on my iPhone. I plan on making use of Smart PlayLists to sync only the 3 or 4 least watched episodes of Futurama to always keep things fresh.

6. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I encode my Movies @ 2500 kbps and they play fine on my iPhone, as long as the size is not wider than 720

You can also use iTunes conversion option to iPod/iPhone format. Jut right click on the movie in iTunes and select convert for iPod. Does take a while though :rolleyes:

7. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

does that destroy the original movie? I would want to keep the atv formatted movies, but make a copy available for my iphone.

Now that visual hub's company is closed, any other programs that will do this?