AppleTV Won't Turn On After Being Unplugged

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thatoneguy82, Jul 1, 2014.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Firstly, I didn't really know how to title this, so I apologize for the vague/confusing thread title.

When I have issues with my AppleTV, I usually unplug it to restart it instead of going to the restart in the settings menu. By unplugging, I usually just pull the connection from the back of the ATV instead of actually "unplugging" from the wall. Anyway, I've noticed that sometimes it won't turn back on, I would have to wait at least 5 minutes of it being unplugged before it actually turns back on after the power has been attached. This happens to both of my ATVs. The only physical issue I've noticed is that both are warm when this happens, but not super hot, just normal electronics kind of warmth.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could this be indicative of a hardware failure or something else?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Which atv gen? Gen 1 is much different than gen 2 or 3.

4. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Didn't know about that shortcut to restart, thanks!

3rd gen.

But yeah, as I said originally, it just won't turn on after it's unplugged but if it's manually restarted, it's fine.

5. jitdor macrumors newbie

Same issue here

I'm registering an account just so I can leave a reply :) I too have this problem with my 3rd gen Apple TV, it's a nuisance when you need to physically move it around.

Unfortunately there's nothing much you can do besides waiting it out (with power disconnected). After an unspecified amount of time without power, it would turn on again when you reconnect power.

Do let me know if you have a better workaround!

6. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

You can connect the Apple TV to your computer and do a restore. The first Apple TV I had (second generation) wouldn't power on anymore, and when I brought it to the Apple Store to have them troubleshoot/replace under warranty, the first thing the guy did was hook it up via micro USB to an iMac to do a system restore through iTunes to refresh it. I wasn't even aware you could do that -- maybe try that?

7. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I still have this problem and never found a workaround. I just decided to live with it. I have 2 ATVs and I transport one of them around frequently, but it stays unplugged for a while so I have no issues with that. The problem only seems to happen if it has been plugged in for a while and I wanna quickly plug/unplug.

Curious, what are your sleep/screensaver settings? I have mine set to turn on the SS at 30 mins and to never sleep.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Sounds like a much easier way to do a reboot. thanks for posting it.