AppleTV worth it w/ DirectTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by John Paul, Nov 30, 2010.

1. John Paul macrumors member

Sorry if this is a really, really basic question but I've never really "gotten" the point of AppleTV from day 1.

For someone who currently has DirectTV, and thus the ability to rent/buy movies (Netflix et al.) through DirectTV, what if anything would AppleTV give me that I don't already have?

The only thing I can figure out so far is the ability to wirelessly look at iPhoto photos or play iTunes music from my computer. Is that it?

I'm really clueless here.

2. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

The basic point of the Apple TV is to act as an extension of your iTunes library, so you can stream music and video files that are in your library on your computer to a big screen.

If that would be useful then you should consider one. If not, and you have Netflixs elsewhere then you probably don't need one.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

For me I was able to turn cable off and use a combination of ATV (netflix and my psersonal DVD collection) and an OTA antena to meet the TV needs of our family. So i was able to from a sending the cable co $60 plus a month to just a $10.00 a month netflix account.

Even if i was not able to use netflix it still would be worth it to me to have instant access to my personal DVD collection through the ATV.

4. John Paul thread starter macrumors member

OK that helps me get a better sense of things. Thanks.

5. tombee macrumors member

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I think the OP was just comparing the ability to rent movies through direct TV as kind of being like having netflix, but i could be wrong.