Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Hi All

Ive bought another ATV2 this morning, I took one back last week due to poor youtube, airtime streaming. Ive got this back and its just the same :(
Im going to get an ethanet cable in a bit to see if that helps as im currently over wifi.

Im still having issues with the update failing as im sure alot of people are.
The questions i need to know are

1. im on 4.3 according to the info within ATV settings, is this JB'able via windows ?

2. has anyone been able to update via micro usb and itunes with a downloaded firmware ? all the ones i tried last week were corrupt and failed

3. is it safe to try and JB while the restore and updates dont seem to work

4. also, my music isnt playing in the screensaver, its all setup to play, photos from my selected folder show but no music

many thanks

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
I personally would not use an Apple TV if I had to have it plugged into an Ethernet.. Takes away the appeal for me. I wish you luck on getting it figured out.

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Aghhhhhhh
I'm so close to smashing this up
Ethanet cable makes no difference to streaming lag on YouTube or AirPlay

Does anyone here have a netgear router with atv2 ?

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Speed tests from the test is appletv ?
When I do the test in appletv it does the test but I get no visual results

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Speed test for your internet connection. It sounds like yours is relatively slow and therefore you are getting significant lag on YouTube playback.

http://www.speedtest.net

Also, point 4, the screensaver is just that, it 'saves the screen' and plays images. You can have it play while your are playing music, but you cannot just turn on the screen saver and hear music if you are not currently listening to music.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah do the speed test and post your results. I have my ATV2 hooked up via Ethernet to my AEBS and I have a 25mbps connection. Everything on my ATV2 streams in beautifully.

If you can use Ethernet over wireless, I recommend it. It's faster and vastly more stable for streaming video.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
My speed is a constant 13500kbps
It's not the line

No one has a 'constant' speed. It varies at different times of the day. You may think you have a certain speed, but it may be coming in much slower than your assumptions. http://www.speedtest.net will give you actual results of your current upload and download speeds.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I think you are making assumptions that may or may not be correct. And your YouTube lag (on both Ethernet and WiFi) sounds like a classic result of 'slow' internet speed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

gj02 said:

Yeah, that's a tad bit slow for streaming video in to ATV or anything really.

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011

really ?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

gj02 said:

really ?

Yes. And chances are that the speed the test shows is never constant and maybe averages a bit slower and from time to time will burst a bit faster.

If you can, see about increasing your speed with your ISP.

You can probably get away with streaming YouTube easily as it has lower definition videos. But you can forget about HD videos.

That's about the same speed I pull down on my iPhone from ATT.

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
so whats the difference with me streaming hd to my computer no problem, to wdtv plus no probs, but atv2 i have probs ?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009

Yes. And chances are that the speed the test shows is never constant and maybe averages a bit slower and from time to time will burst a bit faster.

Especially if it's a cable modem, which shares bandwidth with a neighborhood, your speeds may end up being much lower than this when other in the neighborhood are also online.

I'd have to say that the speed you are getting right now should be sufficient to give you no more than a 5-10 sec lag before playing back a YouTube vid on ATV.

What is your lag currently?

Plus, are you hogging up the bandwidth with any other processes? Do you share the internet with any other computers that might be pulling in torrents or streaming other videos? Is a neighbor hitching on to your WiFi and eating up your bandwidth?

Like I said, your current speeds do seem reasonable and I would be surprised if you couldn't get a YouTube vid to start playing within 10 seconds right now. At other times, I suspect you experience even slower speeds.

As I said, check other computers on the network (that you know of or secretly) and make sure they are not sucking up all the bandwidth and not allowing your ATV to perform as it should.

Or call your ISP and get an upgrade. ;)

djdirect

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010

I agree, that your speed is a tad bit slow. I have my router hooked up to a WNDR3700 and couldn't be happier. It's a dual band so i dedicate the 5GHZ for streaming to my ATV2 and ATV (gen 1). Both stream without a glitch.

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I'll take it back again and just use my wdtv
Far better, no issues at all with that

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Just a thought
Could an xbox wireless controller / receiver cause interference ?
My wifi is dropping every 5-10 mins now

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just a thought
Could an xbox wireless controller / receiver cause interference ?
My wifi is dropping every 5-10 mins now

It is certainly possible. It just depends on what frequencies they transmit on. You can always change the freq/band on your router, if it lets you to test the theory. The XBox is a locked freq and cannot be changed.

I have an XBox 360 and I do not have any interference from the wireless controller with my AEBS and they're only several feet apart.

The only thing I use wirelessly is my iPhone. I prefer using wired connections where possible. So my ATV2, XBox, iMac and Blu-ray player are all wired to the AEBS.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I have less than 4 Mb/s down & .8 up and have no problem playing that YouTube video linked above. It loaded in < 5 seconds and played through without a hitch. I am on ATV2, wired ethernet to my router.

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Hmm it's hit and miss
Sometimes clips load and play other times it's buffers and holds 30 - 2 mins to play

gj02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Today ive watched 3 films from iTunes in hd
Streamed no probs
So why is utube so hit n miss ?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Today ive watched 3 films from iTunes in hd
Streamed no probs
So why is utube so hit n miss ?

It is either the Youtube servers being over loaded or something long the path. Data will hop through several servers before getting to you; just one of them getting swamped will cause problems for everyone. Sounds is happening.

You can try Pinging & Tracert youtube.com and see where the holdup is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.