Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Why can’t the watch connect to 5G networks? It seems strange that the iPhone and iPad can connect to these networks but not the watch. Or perhaps they could not fit a big enough WIFI antenna in the watch?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the watch and the iphone/ipad have completely different usage.

the speed gains you would get from 5g would be unnecessary, and would add monetary cost for apple (even $.50 a unit adds up when you multiply) , and (I'm assuming) power drain on the battery

Reactions: jwolf6589

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Why can’t the watch connect to 5G networks? It seems strange that the iPhone and iPad can connect to these networks but not the watch. Or perhaps they could not fit a big enough WIFI antenna in the watch?
Is this post from the future????? 5G is currently testing in a few select markets but there is no (Apple) consumer devices that have 5G radios.

Reactions: Cigsm

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Is this post from the future????? 5G is currently testing in a few select markets but there is no (Apple) consumer devices that have 5G radios.
He’s asking about 5GHz WiFi versus 2.4GHz WiFi, but got the terminology confused with mobile cellular networking standards.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
He’s asking about 5GHz WiFi versus 2.4GHz WiFi, but got the terminology confused with mobile cellular networking standards.

I see now but 5G and 5GHz are of course not interchangeable terms. As for 5GHz it has been discussed many times. Since it is a higher frequency it would have a shorter wave length (not longer or bigger [again the wrong term]), so it would use the same antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
From what I understand, 5GHz radios consume a significant amount of energy and does not travel as far. Awhile back I had to enable the 2.4GHz radio on my router to connect my thermostat, security cameras, kindle, harmony remote etc to my network.

The same applies to other smart watches like the Gear S3 though it allows you to see networks independently from the phone and input the password directly on the watch. Wish WatchOS would adopt that.

Reactions: dave006 and chabig

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

You need to read the op more closely. WIFI and cellular are not compatible. I was referring to 5ghz but I appreciated and said 5G.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The watch does not have a 5 GHz Wi-Fi chip so it can't connect to a 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection. A couple of factors are likely: Apple chose to use an older, lower power, and cheaper 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi chip.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.