AppleWatch limitations on WIFI

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jwolf6589, Apr 21, 2018.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Why can’t the watch connect to 5G networks? It seems strange that the iPhone and iPad can connect to these networks but not the watch. Or perhaps they could not fit a big enough WIFI antenna in the watch?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

the watch and the iphone/ipad have completely different usage.

the speed gains you would get from 5g would be unnecessary, and would add monetary cost for apple (even $.50 a unit adds up when you multiply) , and (I'm assuming) power drain on the battery

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Is this post from the future????? 5G is currently testing in a few select markets but there is no (Apple) consumer devices that have 5G radios.

4. chabig macrumors 603

He’s asking about 5GHz WiFi versus 2.4GHz WiFi, but got the terminology confused with mobile cellular networking standards.

5. Julien, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I see now but 5G and 5GHz are of course not interchangeable terms. As for 5GHz it has been discussed many times. Since it is a higher frequency it would have a shorter wave length (not longer or bigger [again the wrong term]), so it would use the same antenna.

6. TheMountainLife macrumors member

From what I understand, 5GHz radios consume a significant amount of energy and does not travel as far. Awhile back I had to enable the 2.4GHz radio on my router to connect my thermostat, security cameras, kindle, harmony remote etc to my network.

The same applies to other smart watches like the Gear S3 though it allows you to see networks independently from the phone and input the password directly on the watch. Wish WatchOS would adopt that.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Correct and 5GHz also doesn't travel through walls very well.

8. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Its also slower. But then again on the watch FaceTime audio calling would probably use the most bandwidth of anything you would do.

9. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

You need to read the op more closely. WIFI and cellular are not compatible. I was referring to 5ghz but I appreciated and said 5G.

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The watch does not have a 5 GHz Wi-Fi chip so it can't connect to a 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection. A couple of factors are likely: Apple chose to use an older, lower power, and cheaper 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi chip.

Dave

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

The 5Ghz access point on my X is considerably faster than the 2.4Ghz access point.