AppleWorks Conversion to Pages/Word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TC2COOL, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TC2COOL macrumors member

I know this is an issue that I should have dealt with years ago, but I just recently needed to start using some of those old files again.

Barring opening each file and copy and pasting it into a Pages file, is there any way to convert my old AppleWorks files into Pages/Word files?

Can Automator do it? I mean, I have a few thousand files I want to convert, but not if it means doing them all by hand...

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I think you can right click on the .cwk file and "Get Info" on it. From there you can set which program you want to open .cwk files by default. This will not convert them until you save them, but it will allow you to open them without having to do a "right click --> open with every time"

There might be a way to do this with applescript or automator but i am not near my Mac to check right now.

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Pages, Numbers & Keynote can open AppleWorks 6 word processing, spreadsheet & presentation documents respectively. They cannot open AppleWorks 5 or any ClarisWorks documents. The only program other than AppleWorks that can open AppleWorks draw documents is EasyDraw. There is nothing other than AppleWorks that can open AppleWorks database or paint documents.

Word 2004 can open AppleWorks 6 word processing documents fairly seamlessly. Word 2003 for the PC can open them but there is a lot of garbage text before & after the actual text. A one-line AppleWorks 6 word processing document opened to 28 pages in Word 2003 for me. Word 2007 gives a lot of garbage & information about the file (printing, etc.), but I couldn't see the text in all of the pages.

4. TC2COOL thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to both of ya'll. In the end I used the "Get Info: Open with" trick, and it's working perfectly.

FWIW, AppleWorks documents open perfectly in Pages '08, and as garbage in Word '08...