AppleWorks --> PDF, RTF

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gamoe, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Gamoe macrumors regular

Issue:

I want to convert all my AppleWorks word processing files to a more portable format: either RTF of PDF, while adding the original file creation date to the file name or to the last line of the document.

Problem:

It would take me many hours to convert them all by hand.

Attempted solution:

I've tried to use an Automator Workflow to convert the files to PDF, but I've run into some issues.

I can add the creation date to the original file name easily with Automator (Rename Finder Items). I have also been able to convert them to PDF by adding a PDF printer (saving to PDF from the print dialog box doesn't seem to be supported by any Automator action) using the CUPS-PDF module.

However, whenever I print an AppleWorks document to PDF, a prefix is added by CUPS-PDF (job_xxx), spaces are replaced with underscores and the name is shortened, stripping it of various characters in the original name and of the creation date in the file name.

If I could tell Automator to fix the file name after it has been printed to PDF, but I know of no way of doing this.

2. numlock macrumors 68000

if you are on leopard then you can create an automator "watch me do" workflow that prints the file as a pdf.

But how you set it up so it would do one file after another or how long it would take i cant answer